News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Doppelganger (Lacesensor Board)

Started by fendman, June 27, 2013, 01:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

I finally finished up my Doppelganger this morning, it has taken some time and has been a fairly pleasent and great learning experience.  I think the most difficult part of the build was obtaining the ldr's...I eventually got them from futurlec . It sounds similar to Lacesensors build, it is very whooshy with the blend and colour pots fully cw. I tried the different combinations of op amps and in the end settled for the TL062 and LM324N. Also stayed with 1K span controls,HF span and LF span were more or less the same.. so it is as Lacesensor's build instructions.

One thing I noticed was it sounded a bit scratchy and not quite right when I was testing the board outside the enclosure which wasted me a bit of time...once in the enclosure and the base on it was fine. So if you do ever build this you may want to watch for this.

Must thank Lacesensor for his great work and for the docs and layouts.... Electricstorm for the layout he sent me for the pcb etch....Ian (irmcdermott) for his drill template.

Thanks

Mike

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

alanp

Very, very nice :) Got a Ibanez PH7, built a stagefright, heard a small stone, but the Doppelganger is still my favourite phaser hands down!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

fendman

Quote from: jimilee on June 27, 2013, 01:59:49 PM
Sweet, I'm starting mine next.

Hey jimi, hope it goes well for you :) It is a great pedal, and  I  can hear you playing the bass notes on "Hey Joe" with it :)

Quote from: midwayfair on June 27, 2013, 04:03:47 PM
Fantastic looking build. :)

Hey Jon, thanks fella, I can't do those small builds like you, and I love seeing them when you show them...those tall ships with their sails, and well there are just so many that you have done. You would have loved painting something on this enclosure!!!  It Is huge...  :P

Quote from: alanp on June 27, 2013, 10:37:58 PM
Very, very nice :) Got a Ibanez PH7, built a stagefright, heard a small stone, but the Doppelganger is still my favourite phaser hands down!

Thanks Alan.. Yeh it is the tops.. The stagefright is great as well, I do like it a lot and  having gone through what I have with the dopp, I might just have a go at the flanger!!! with no name?? :) You have been there..done it.. worn the T-shirt so what is good for the Goose  etc.

Documentation on that from you  and Jim (electricstorm) was great, its good to see and I hope it encourages more members to build the old relics :)

LaceSensor

So that's 4 of these clones ever made now, congrats.

Did you try 2k spans?

fendman

Quote from: LaceSensor on June 28, 2013, 12:43:53 AM

Did you try 2k spans?

Hey Ian, Thanks I didn't try the 2K spans as there didn't seem much difference between the HF and LF....is it worth trying?? Just that the board is a bit of a pig to get in and out of the enclosure :)

On another subject I just ordered a board from Dave@mooseapotamus for the ADA Flanger clone the M3007 version...watched the set-up videos, and I have all the docs.  Looking fwd to doing it at some point 8)

Thanks again Ian for your help and the great work you did on the Dop.

Mike

muddyfox

I'm SO building all the Lovetone clones available, I just need to get the boards done someplace. Everywhere I ask folks want an arm and a leg for them...  >:(

fendman

Quote from: muddyfox on June 28, 2013, 06:27:04 PM

I'm SO building all the Lovetone clones available, I just need to get the boards done someplace. Everywhere I ask folks want an arm and a leg for them...  >:(

If you ask Haberdasher he may be able to help you... its worth a try :)

LaceSensor

Quote from: fendman on June 28, 2013, 06:03:33 PM

Did you try 2k spans?

Hey Ian, Thanks I didn't try the 2K spans as there didn't seem much difference between the HF and LF....is it worth trying?? Just that the board is a bit of a pig to get in and out of the enclosure :)

On another subject I just ordered a board from Dave@mooseapotamus for the ADA Flanger clone the M3007 version...watched the set-up videos, and I have all the docs.  Looking fwd to doing it at some point 8)

Thanks again Ian for your help and the great work you did on the Dop.

Mike

Not sure what you mean about "not much difference between HF and LF". They should be acting on dramatically different parts of the phase shift sound. I found that using 2k gave me more depth overall, bit more than the vintage unit, but still everything usable on the pot rotation.

Well worth a shot. It will have all the tones of the 1k spans, plus a bit more.

The ADA clone sounds unreal.

fendman

QuoteNot sure what you mean about "not much difference between HF and LF". They should be acting on dramatically different parts of the phase shift sound. I found that using 2k gave me more depth overall, bit more than the vintage unit, but still everything usable on the pot rotation.

Well worth a shot. It will have all the tones of the 1k spans, plus a bit more.

The ADA clone sounds unreal.

I listened again to your build and your original Dop... and yes I notice on mine the LF span does have slightly more depth than the HF span. Obviously no two builds are going to be the same, someone else who built one used the 1K's and thought it was great. I am happy with mine.

I will try 2k, I have nothing to lose,if it improves it I will be even happier :)

Thanks

Mike

LaceSensor

basiaclly the LF span is way more of the whole sound than the HF (for want of a better description), but you definitely hear the effect of the HF better with a 2k pot in my experience. I think this is part of the compromise of not really knowing what LDRs are in the original as that makes a massive difference, as does the LED, to the sound you acheive.