News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point SDX - only one repeat

Started by KCTigerChief, June 22, 2013, 07:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTigerChief

Hey guys, I just finished up my Zero Point SDX build, and went back over the documentation before I fired it up to verify everything was correct.  Everything appeared to be correct.  I went and hooked it up in my test box, before I boxed it up, and realized I was only getting one repeat.  The delay knob works, as I can adjust the time it takes for that one delay to happen.  The feedback knob works, mix knob, rate and depth both work.  The switches also seem to be fine, except for the Path switch.  When I flip that to the other side, all I get is the dry signal.

Was hoping to use this box when my band hits the studio next weekend, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-Bryan

KCTigerChief

UPDATE: I just got done clipping R45, because I missed that note the first time.  After playing it again, here's what I found.

Positions 2 and 4 on the rotary (considering the "down position" as 1, and each consecutive move up the rotary as 2, 3, 4...Shimmer and Analog, I suppose) DO give me repeats, and they sound fantastic...Holy crap I could use this pedal just like this and be happy) and even when I turn the path switch to the left, I still get all my repeats.

HOWEVER, when I go to position 1 or 3, I only get the 1 repeat, if the path switch is to the right, and 0 delay at all if the path switch is to the left.

Frustrating, but hopefully you all can help.

Thanks so much,
Bryan

KCTigerChief

Here are my voltage readings.

Read from pin 1 to the bottom of the chip, across the chip, then bottom to top...

IC1
1: 4.59   5: 4.59
2: 4.60   6: 4.59
3: 4.59   7: 4.59
4: .006   8: 9.20

IC2 & 3 (same readings)
1: 4.90   9:   2.456
2: 2.45   10: 2.459
3: .006   11: 2.459
4: .006   12: 2.456
5: 2.853 13: 2.459
6: 2.446 14: 2.459
7: .656   15: 2.459
8: .680   16: 2.459

IC4
1: 4.60    8: 4.60
2: 4.60    9: 4.60
3: 4.17   10: 4.60
4: 9.20   11: .006
5: 4.56   12: 4.60
6: 4.60   13: 4.60
7: 4.60   14: 4.60

IC5
1: bounces between 2-6
2: 4.60
3: 4.08
4: .006
5: between 2-6
6: 4.60
7: 8.6 falls to 4.??, down to 0, then back up to 8.6 and then repeats
8: 9.20

Thanks again,
Bryan

jimilee

Have you reflowed all he solder joints? How do the joints on the selector look?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

KCTigerChief

Quote from: jimilee on June 23, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

I haven't reflowed every joint but I've actually removed the selector to make sure I had it aligned correctly and resoldered it, so it's good. I'll try to reflow everything real quick and see what happens!

KCTigerChief

I'll be damned, must have had a bad joint or something somewhere, because it works like a champ now! Gotta mess with a few socketed resistors though, because the feedback pot gets into oscillation way too soon for me. :)

jimilee

Quote from: KCTigerChief on June 23, 2013, 02:16:04 AM

I'll be damned, must have had a bad joint or something somewhere, because it works like a champ now! Gotta mess with a few socketed resistors though, because the feedback pot gets into oscillation way too soon for me. :)
mine does too. I was following a thread on here just that but it went cold. Keep us posted on how tou work it out.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

KCTigerChief

Man, the box for this thing is so tight, I must have misdrilled or something because with the momentary slam
Switch there's no room for the slim jack, and the power jack
Runs into rate pot...sigh

jimilee

True story, have you seen the build reports? Not any room for error for sure.

alanp

Got a board on the way -- I actually unclenched my wallet for the low profile jacks and also power connector! (I used tayda ones on my 1590a builds.)

Hopefully a bit of file work will fix things for you :(
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

KCTigerChief

Quote from: alanp on June 23, 2013, 09:23:29 PM
Got a board on the way -- I actually unclenched my wallet for the low profile jacks and also power connector! (I used tayda ones on my 1590a builds.)

Hopefully a bit of file work will fix things for you :(

Yeah, I used those suggested parts too, from
Small bear.

I realized my enclosure is actually a 1590NS...but still I think it should be fine. That said, I'm sure I misdrilled. It's really hard to get the template right where it needs to be when the edges don't line up with the box exactly. Live and learn, doesn't need to be pretty for me because I'm gonna be using the hell out of it! :)

jimilee

Quote from: KCTigerChief on June 23, 2013, 02:16:04 AM

Did you ever get this issue resolved? Odd sort of happening, I've found that if I hold down the slam switch, my feedback pot is totally useable. This first time I ordered a normally open , and then I replaced it with a normally closed. same result with both switches. First one was from tayda and the second from small bear. I was thinking about just soldering a jumper across the the two lugs anyway. Anybody got any thoughts?

jimilee

Figured it out,smallbear sent me the wrong momentary,all better now I believe.