News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover - overdrives if picking too hard

Started by Bucksears, August 12, 2012, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I finally finished up my Current Lover build - need to read the instructions fully as I didn't jumper 'send/return' or the C5 pads (using MN3007). It works properly and needs to be fine-tuned, but it seems like it's overdriving really easily.

Is that a biasing issue and I need to keep going until I find the sweet spot, or is it something that is affected by the 4558 and/or the transistors? (could one of the transistors be too 'hot' for it?)

All that aside, should I try running it at 12V next?

Thanks guys

LaceSensor

Bucksears

Thanks - I've got 9V, 12V and 16V options on my BBE SupaCharger. I'll try 12V next; MN3007 can't take more than 15V, correct?

Also, is it definitely a voltage issue? I thought the Current Lover is designed to run on 9V.

Scruffie

15V is the max recommended for the 3007. More voltage = more headroom and less clipping, bias also does play a large part though especially with the minimal filtering. It may work at 9v (especially considering the weaker pickups of the day and it being designed with a SAD1024 which may clip less, not sure) but it can certainly be run higher with possible benefits.
Works at Lectric-FX

Bucksears

So where are you guys getting your 15V power from?
Most voltage doublers I've seen can do 18V - 24V from a 9V supply.

marmaliser

Scruffie

A voltage doubler plus a 15V regulator (think the bean road rage may include a spot for this?) you may find 12V fine though... A zener was used in the original to regulate voltage and could be used with 16V but a 15V reg at 18V (they need a few extra volts to work) is more stable.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Quote from: Bucksears on August 13, 2012, 12:24:44 PM
Thanks - I've got 9V, 12V and 16V options on my BBE SupaCharger. I'll try 12V next; MN3007 can't take more than 15V, correct?

Also, is it definitely a voltage issue? I thought the Current Lover is designed to run on 9V.

it will but the headroom isnt there in the same way it is at 15v mate.

get a roadrage from bean for $2 or whatnot, job done.

I actually found both my builds quite picky to bias, so worth really tweaking.
With optimal bias though the 15v sounds way nicer.

madbean

Buck, have you tried audio probing to see where exactly the clipping is introduced? Specifically, I'd look at pin1 and pin7 of IC1, and also the junction of R15/R16/R17.

Bucksears

Thanks Madbean - I might try the audio probe later on.

I tried it on the 12V setting on my SupaCharger and it doesn't distort. I could leave it like that, but I'm going to build the Road Rage circuit (I was going to print off some layouts to PnP Blue this week anyway) and run the CL at 15V. I'd rather not be tied to this power supply; might want to loan it to my cousin.

I have to say, this circuit/build is definitely the missing link between chorus and flange.

rasta_maleek

i have the same problem. Maybe the better will be feed the pedal with 15v