News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Sweetest Honey with DEMO

Started by pryde, March 12, 2015, 12:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Here is another recent build in my massive overdrive quest. The Sweet Honey using Chi-boy's Silk Hat pcb. I should kick myself for not building this one up sooner as I have had it a long time. I LOVE IT! I am always looking for very dynamic/clean volume roll-off overdrives and I have to say this is the best one I believe I have come across. Just awesome really. I need to check out some more MP stuff.

The enclosure is PPP transparent amber/copper with another tinned FR4 plate and some silver knobs to top it off. This one is staying on my board and stacks well with my Zen I just built. Kind of a bad recording but check the quick and crappy demo out  :)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/sweetest-honey-od[/soundcloud]

mgwhit

Nice demo.  I had written that OD off based on samples I'd heard a couple years ago, but yours sounds great.  And, yeah, I love the way it sounded when you rolled back your volume.

jubal81

Great job. The copper color and the plate go really well together.

Demo sounds damn awesome. Silk Hat is in my Top5, for sure.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

PhiloB

Sounds great!! Agree, responds great to the volume knob. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGP39

Beautiful work Pryde. This is my favorite overdrive at the moment. I also bought some of that liquid tin. I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

cooder

Very very sweet drive indeed! Great demo!  8)
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

sounds really good...  but i'd have that one on my pedalboard even if it was just for looks man 8)

micromegas

Quote from: nzCdog on March 12, 2015, 08:02:32 AM
sounds really good...  but i'd have that one on my pedalboard even if it was just for looks man 8)
+1. Etched face plate is awesome!

You say it works well with a Zendrive? I have a populated smd ZD and an smd Sweet Honey I got from muddyfox.
Do they sound  well enough together to put them in a 2-in-1?.

The demo is cool, it highlights all the characteristics really well.

Btw, have you had the oportunity to test this one against a Supreaux Deux? As I recall, both try to give you the same sound but take different approaches (this one with cliping and feedback and the Supreaux with fet emulation).

and against a honey bee?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pryde

A 2 in 1 would work but I like keeping OD pedals separate unless you are going to use a simple booster in front of one. Interestingly there are good sounds with these swapping order into each other.

I honestly didn't really dig the superdeux for some reason. I also have not tried the Honey Bee but I understand it really is a very different type of OD. This one just really works great in my rig. I think it brings out the lacking areas in my amp, IOW it tightens the bass and rounds the highs a bit which I needed in my setup.

This is such a touch sensitive OD it forces one to play with nuance and dynamically to get the best out of it.

micromegas

Quote from: pryde on March 12, 2015, 01:16:52 PM
A 2 in 1 would work but I like keeping OD pedals separate unless you are going to use a simple booster in front of one. Interestingly there are good sounds with these swapping order into each other.

I honestly didn't really dig the superdeux for some reason. I also have not tried the Honey Bee but I understand it really is a very different type of OD. This one just really works great in my rig. I think it brings out the lacking areas in my amp, IOW it tightens the bass and rounds the highs a bit which I needed in my setup.

This is such a touch sensitive OD it forces one to play with nuance and dynamically to get the best out of it.

Thanks Pryde! I'll try both for a while before boxing them. I have many ods in the range of the zd, but I like to swap them or combine them to force myself into some variation (not that people but notice live, but at home things are  a little different every time, and I like that).

I dig all the demos I've heard of this od so I'll give it a try.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io