Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

it tastes like ...burning

Started by jessenator, May 18, 2023, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on May 22, 2023, 08:39:03 PM

lol maybe I will. I'll just need to try it on a thicker piece that doesn't have weird elevation changes like foil does.  That reminds me; I've got to go to ACE and get some ducting

I wonder if I could just do cornstarch and vinegar... something that doesn't stain like mustard/turmeric

jwin615

Quote from: jessenator on May 22, 2023, 08:51:48 PM
lol maybe I will. I'll just need to try it on a thicker piece that doesn't have weird elevation changes like foil does.  That reminds me; I've got to go to ACE and get some ducting

I wonder if I could just do cornstarch and vinegar... something that doesn't stain like mustard/turmeric
Honestly...
I feel your going to run into an issue with any enclosure vs testing medium due to the larger thermal capacity of said enclosure. That's the kicker with aluminum. You may have more success with faceplates of varying materials.
Maybe buy some enclosure bottoms when you're ready for test runs on Al?

jessenator

For sure.

My thought was just "see if it works at all" but then I got cold feet, because I don't want mustard/acid staining on my laser. It'd definitely need to be tested on enclosure-thickness material.

I found a few other things, one where a dude uses a balsamic soaked napkin, lets it dry then runs it on the slowest speed his laser goes and at max power. <10% acidity but >5% is what he got to work. His laser is comparable to mine, so it'd just be something to test. Less mess than mustard at any rate.

So there are a few things to try.

I have a number of sacrificial/test pieces of enclosures/lids to test everything on. I'll just use small enough test patterns and a variety of speed settings. Power is going to be at 100% no matter what, so at least there's that.

Bit of a setup update:
I managed to get the (hopefully) last bits of extraction hardware.

The caulking on the exterior vent didn't go well on round one, so I had to start over. Should be cured tonight and I can hook up the lines to it. I've got close to 200cfm fan, so hopefully that's enough (at least it was based on what I looked up, but I'm still at a point I can return it if need be).

jessenator

Got the extraction set up—not enough for my liking, so I need to source another fan. I tested first with wood and it was only mildly smoky. Thought it might be okay to move on, so tested on paint today. It was not okay (for my body).

Settings:

300ppi | overscan of 3% | and then the passes are indicated next to the speed and power settings

Results (ignore the horizontal gash—from a previous mishap) :

Also, forgive the weird shape... I just did it in Lightburn itself, and its design tools are not my jam

I'm pretty pleased! just toothbrushed with warm water followed by a few wipes with iso. I think I'm going to run another test with cross-hatching turned on, but I think the deeper pits are because I didn't pre-sand this one. This was a few coats of self-etching primer, and several coats of Rustoleum black hammer finish.

jwin615

Wow! :o Did not know a 5w was capable of that. And so cleanly. Curious how it handles lighter colors, specifically and scorch marks. Or, I suppose, how well lighter paints handle it...
While you're testing, why not feed it some (mad) beans?

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on May 28, 2023, 02:33:15 AM
Wow! :o Did not know a 5w was capable of that. And so cleanly. Curious how it handles lighter colors, specifically and scorch marks. Or, I suppose, how well lighter paints handle it...
While you're testing, why not feed it some (mad) beans?

it's got 300dpi/ppi res for raster... probably the same for "fills" for vectors. The main outline is all vector, so it's a bit more crisp than popping in a JPG or something.

Unless OMTech gets back to me (which is doubtful at this point), I'm struggling to think of a use on light enclosures. Although, I did see Bricksnbeatles' build on pedalpcb forum that utilizes white and cyan on a bare enclosure to good effect. Anyhow, I was thinking about marking paint being used in the etched-out paint/powder coat, but like I say, still not willing to drop money into that quite yet—too many other things I need first.

The next project is going to be a madbean build! I can finally put the finishing touches on the Dragon Thlayur hand-etch board I bought. its base is a dark green

I think I'm also going to do my Fat Rat build as an etched enclosure: dark-ish red

gordo

Great progress.  Very clean and sharp edges.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?