News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Partscaster experience?

Started by LaceSensor, July 03, 2020, 07:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

This is what the body, scratchplate etc looks like

First job I undertook (other than the jack plate) was the drill and fit the trem claw

The neck I received was drilled for 0.34'' bushings and I needed a bit larger, so these were reamed out before press fitting

Fitted the vintage tuners using a tiny drill bit to drill the holes. All screws ive been pre-lubricating with candle wax

LaceSensor

I know its not a Fender but couldnt resist the waterslide decals

This was my first time ever applying a waterslide. The decals were fantastic, came pre-shaped, and were very easy to apply. Id watched a number of people struggle on youtube but this was plain sailing...

This last one was when the neck arrived. I had to do a tiny bit of shaping with sandpaper of the neck pocket - better that than it fitting too loosely I guess.
The neck is AllParts licensed by Fender, and is made in Japan. The finish is pre-aged (light relic) C shape, 10'' radius.
The maple parts have been tinted and aged, the finish feels like a neck thats been sanded down the played in a lot.

LaceSensor

Next jobs are to get brave and drill the tremolo mounting screw holes, as well as the 4 bolt holes for the neck.... :o :o

Heres some detail shots of the neck, sorry they arent the best quality but you get the idea on the aged finish

Im going to do some light coats of Tru-Oil on the headstock face to "blend" in the decal.

Forgot to mention  I also fitted a bone nut that I got from allparts to match the neck. Needed to sand it down a bit as it started out marginally too thick for the nut slot...

LaceSensor

ok so drilling the neck on is scary  :o :o

jimilee

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 26, 2020, 08:56:16 PM
Yeah it is, you can plug is and try again though! I wouldn't do that more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2020, 09:56:03 PM
Yeah it is, you can plug is and try again though! I wouldn't do that more than once.

Hey Jimi

As luck would have it, my neighbour had a drill press which I used, seems like its gone together as good as I can make it (!) first time :)

Stomptown

Looking good!  Where did you pick up the body?  I love the finish!

LaceSensor

Quote from: Stomptown on July 26, 2020, 11:17:07 PM
Looking good!  Where did you pick up the body?  I love the finish!

some dude in Austria...

I imagine relicing it will be sacriledge to some .... its the bit im now most scared of now the neck is on.
Well, I spose im also freaking out about levelling, crowning and dressing the frets  :-[

jimilee

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 26, 2020, 10:47:20 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2020, 09:56:03 PM

Hey Jimi

As luck would have it, my neighbour had a drill press which I used, seems like its gone together as good as I can make it (!) first time :)
That's awesome. I used my press on mine. The first couple guitars I built were hand drilled, huge difference.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

Last night I did the job of shieldint the body. I used some 50mm copper adhensive tape.
Did all the pickup and control cavities and even managed to get a loop of the stuff wound round a precision screwdriver and through to the jack socket cavity.

Today, I strung the guitar up. The neck needs a decent amount of work which Im pretty intimidated by - any tips appreciated.
I figure it needed to be strung and settle under tension before I start adjusting anything. In order to work on the nut first, I set the bridge heights and checked the action roughly, as well as setting the intonation. All good - means I probably managed to not screw up the neck or bridge install (!).

Then started to file and shape the nut. Its probably close to done, just need to shape the top down a bit, and bring the sides in. Think it was a 44mm and the neck is 42mm at the nut.

From initial playing, there are clearly a few high frets, and the neck relief and action will need adjustment. However I really feel the neck needs to settle - it looks pretty straight but the truss rod is almost entirely loosened off. Im 99% sure its a single action, given the vintage vibe / heel access but Ill double check...

But I suppose levelling and dressing/crowning the frets is always on the cards with a more affordable neck.

Other than that, I did the strap buttons  ::) for an easy job.
Ive got the string tree (just doing one, then deciding if it needs a second) to add at some point while its strung up.

Of course still waiting on the electronics (Germany and Russia postal services: please expedite :) )

Any tips or advice to a first time neck-wrangler, im all ears :)

jimilee

Nice job with the neck. Looks like the string are pretty even on the fret board on both ends.

matmosphere

Last year I learned to do the frets a completely different way than I've seen before.  If you don't already have the tools most people use then it might save you some money. Only tools needed were sandpaper, a fret rocker, and a set of micro mesh sanding sheets. The crowning and polishing are incorporated into basically the same step.

jtn191

looks great! which pickups are you looking at putting in?

I'm resisting the urge to do something similar...a strat or a jazzmaster
My parts Tele is my last guitar, put the most effort into getting a great neck: stainless steel frets, comfortable profile, locking tuners

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 27, 2020, 11:29:54 PM
Last year I learned to do the frets a completely different way than I've seen before.  If you don't already have the tools most people use then it might save you some money. Only tools needed were sandpaper, a fret rocker, and a set of micro mesh sanding sheets. The crowning and polishing are incorporated into basically the same step.
I'm listening....

LaceSensor

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 27, 2020, 11:29:54 PM

Ive got a set of micromesh so this would be very helpful if you could look it up?

I think I just have a few high spots is all