Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm happy to say...

Started by redkurn, April 10, 2021, 06:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

I've finally managed to join the tube amp club, Bugera V55HD.  :D

jimilee

Nice, what are you're first impressions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

Poor you. Welcome to the wonderful hell of finicky tubes.  ;)

diablochris6

Sweet! No casters on that thing? Looks like you and the drummer will argue over whose house to practice at.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

redkurn

Quote from: jimilee on April 10, 2021, 12:37:45 PM
Nice, what are you're first impressions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That it has a really nice clean channel, overdrive channel isn't so great or I need to learn this amp a bit more.
The general consensus is the overdrive channel and stock tubes suck, I think it sounds alright enough, but the owner before me thought the tubes may be going since it has been losing volume over the course of a few months... so I'll be replacing the stock tubes anyway.

It has a cool LED system on the back to tell you when the tubes are bad (power tubes I'd imagine) and it automatically does bias of the tubes.
I'd prefer to be able to bias them myself, but I got this amp at a steal price of $250 and it seems perfectly fine to me.

So first impression, beautiful amp head, very nice reverb, needs tweaking and learning, sounds pretty good compared to my joyo zombie, which I already know I can use the send/return trick and use both.

I think I also have crappy speakers in the cab, the low end on the amp isn't as tight as the zombie or the speakers are junk and I am betting the speakers aren't the best. Haven't gotten it to chug properly yet. XD

Oh! it does take to a TS808 great though, Red Orange Llama also sounds really good on it, my DS-1 needs tweaked, but that also sounded pretty good.
GreenBean2019 and SnarkDoodle of course.

I played the section of Holy Diver that I have learned and been practicing on the zombie to test it, but I think in time and with help of others that have had tube amps for a long while I'll get the swing of it.

I want to hit some vintage tones, sound like the bands my dad got me into as a kid, Steppenwolf and a few others that I am drawing a blank on right now.

I take all the negative back, found a video that showed a vintage tone and now it sounds awesome! even the pedals are doing better with the volume rolled back some, just had to work out how essentially 4 volume knobs + pedal needed to be set to. :D

Quote from: Muadzin on April 10, 2021, 04:00:32 PM
Poor you. Welcome to the wonderful hell of finicky tubes.  ;)

Thanks! hopefully the Infinium self bias is a good thing and puts me in the first level of tube hell and not the seventh circle. XD

Quote from: diablochris6 on April 10, 2021, 04:59:38 PM
Sweet! No casters on that thing? Looks like you and the drummer will argue over whose house to practice at.

No worries there, I don't plan to gig or anything. XD

redkurn

Interesting thing happened today, I tried my Bazz Fuzz and while in standard E the first string kept cutting in and out, the second not as often and overall quality of the fuzz was spotty.

I tried it on my Joyo Zombie to be sure I didn't mess it up last time I opened the pedal and it was fine, talked to Paul at diyguitarpedals.com.au and told him of the previous owners tube concern and he may have been onto something, but as Paul told me it could be the output of the fuzz isn't enough for this amp.

Why would only one pedal have an issue if it were a tube, the clean channel has the issue, the overdrive isn't a lot better, but the effects the amp is included with work perfectly and it definitely gets loud set at 4 ohm with a 4 ohm load.

I haven't heard anything concerning, there is a noise present when using high gain, but I figure it's a normal sound. Kind of a high pitched hum like a square wave maybe, it became a constant when I plug in anything that has more gain and doesn't fade.

Volume is at 5 on the clean channel, 6 on volume and gain for the overdrive channel and master at 3.

I could probably record what it is doing as a audio or video file.

culturejam

I had the 22W head, and I actually thought the overdrive channel sounded pretty darn good. Right when I got it, I was learning Pearl Jam's "Alive" and I thought it really got a similar tone to the main guitar tone in the song.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

redkurn

It's a great amp and for $250, a awesome amp.

I'm having fun with it, finally have a amp with a eq setting and endless possibilities, it's awesome!
Hopefully I can maintain it and keep it running for years.