News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Built an awesome tone generator, but...

Started by Droogie, October 21, 2013, 04:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

...it's supposed to be a TS variant. This is the second vero build of a screamer named after a well-known country guitar picker and this one just puts out a continuous tone that modulates with adjustment of all knobs and switches (including guitar volume).
At first I thought it was my modification of the layout that just added a few extra rows so I could board mount the 9mm pots (using jumpers to connect them). My original implementation had some jumpers in very close proximity, which I thought might be causing the tone (is that called hetrodyning?). I swapped those out for  jumpers tat were more separated, but same result. The input and output wires are separated sufficiently I think, at least they're the same as my properly working build).

Checked for continuity issues, solder joints, parts placement and values, swapped J201s and the IC. Any ideas what  might be causing this? Thanks much!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

ggarms

Check again for bridges. The same exact thing (no kidding) happened when I was changing the jacks on mine yesterday. A glob of solder fell onto the board and i couldn't figure out what it was for like half an hour! I did have some fun playing with the weird tone though.... I'd use the continuity function on your dmm just to make sure. Microscopic bridges are so tough to find sometimes.

croquet hoop

I have had the same problem a few weeks ago with an Eternity on vero. Did not bother to debug it since I thought exactly what you wrote — it makes an awesome tone generator  8) I felt like a mad scientist when turning the pots to make all kinds of whirring sounds.

Droogie

Ha! I should just keep it the way it is, but it's part of a multi-effect built on one piece of vero. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to separate it from the other three circuits and keep the tone generator.

I'll check again for bridges next time I'm at te bench.

Thanks!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric