News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Righteous - The Blue One

Started by culturejam, September 02, 2014, 01:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This one is a side project that Dave and Brian and I are working on (as if we didn't already have enough going on with Function f(x)). We wanted to do fun short-run builds that didn't quite fit in with Function f(x), so we created a new brand: 424 Studios, an homage to the fact that we all owned and used the Tascam 424 when we were teenagers.

This box is a Fuzz Rite clone with a few part values tweaks to make it more generally useful tonally. I did the original schematic and PCB, Dave did the next two layouts, and all three of us tested and tweaked.

I had one blue enclosure left over from the test order, so I decided to build one up with an older PCB (doesn't have the jumpers for modern/vintage caps). Production units will be gold and have chickenhead knobs. I've had these black metal ones for ages and this seemed like a good use since it's a personal build. I'll be building the 10 gold production boxes. This blue one was just a fun build for me, and the gold boxes will use different hardware and have nicer/neater wiring.

The Fuzz control is actually quite useful, and it's a combo of tone and gain on one control. Lots of textures are available. And this thing loves neck pickups! You can really get your Siamese Dream on with this bad boy.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chuckbuick

Multiple jobs, a new baby, and you still find time to build.  And a nice build at that.  Well done.  I don't know how you parental types do it.

lincolnic

Looks awesome! I remain excited for 424 Studios and Function f(x).

You should have someone else make a demo, though - I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day for you to do it!

culturejam

Quote from: lincolnic on September 02, 2014, 04:34:46 AM
You should have someone else make a demo, though - I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day for you to do it!

I think a talent deficit is the bigger obstacle for the demo.  ;D   Actually, I do want to make at least a short demo so I can get more comfortable with my new recording setup.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Leevibe

Beautiful build and awesome story. I have good memories of recording with my buddy on his yamaha 4 track back in the day.