News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MKC1 "Mini-Klon" from GuitarPCB.com?

Started by REPTAR, April 03, 2012, 12:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REPTAR

It's supposedly a klon of sorts with an additional switchable fat-boost. I'm quite curious about it. Has anyone tried this?

saxoftenest

I recently built the MKC1, and I've made about half a dozen Klones. IMHO, the MKC1 is a great boost/overdrive that is tonally comparable to the Klon but not identical. I've noticed a bit more opamp clipping, so you may want to experiment with your ICs. I've left the TL072's in mine, since I dig it stock for my favorite settings.

Someone who knows these circuits better than me want to chime in to explain the differences?

oldhousescott

Very similar circuits. Some parts positions have been juggled, and standard values have been used in place of some non-standard values. As noted, one big change is the lack of charge pump and thus the lower headroom in the last two opamp stages.

juansolo

Made a couple and did a load of more Kloney part substitutions. Makes it nigh on identical sonically when you do. Unfortunately they're all scribbled on a piece of paper. If they're still legible I'll try and post them.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

lahba

I too have built one of these.  I went through the schematic and subbed values from the updated schematic at fsb.  My buddy has an original and I was able to do a direct comparison.  Very very close.  The MKC1, after the part substitutions, is definitely in the klon wheelhouse.  The subtle differences between my build and the original may come down to diode choice.  I currently have 1n34a's in there, but my next step is to wire up a bunch of diode combinations on a rotary switch and see if that gets me any closer.  Totally satisfied with the sound of the circuit as I have it now, but I'm curious to see if I can get the rest of the way there. 

I'm really looking forward to building a Kingslayer!

REPTAR

Thanks guys for the replies. I had forgotten about the Kingslayer. Hmmm wait for the Kingslayer or go for the MKC1?

saxoftenest

Yes (as in, both).  ;D

Obviously the MKC1 is available now, as opposed to the Kingslayer, and there are a ton of mods to play with on Barry's site.

REPTAR

Alright, I guess i'm gonna try out the MKC1 haha

REPTAR

What would be the approximate overall cost for a MKC1 build?

jkokura

Depends on so many factors it's impossible to say. I know this isn't he answer you want, but you'll likely have to price it out yourself.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

REPTAR

Yeah I expected that  I'm just a little on the lazy side sometimes haha

ichilton

Just wondered if there was any updates to this - there were a few "i'm going to's" in there - posting values, trying different diodes, trying the MKC1 etc...

Thanks,

Ian

juansolo

Fraid not. The piece of paper was long gone :(
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

REPTAR

I ended up getting the kingslayer board instead..  ;D

ichilton