News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Polyphase! Envelope Controlled Optical Phasing.

Started by Scruffie, November 20, 2011, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Well... we've got the EHX Flanger & Delay, why not go for the whole collection!

I hear the new production polyphases just don't cut it compared to originals, there are some hard to find parts in the original but they can be replaced.

The Xicon 334-NTC104 (On Mouser) Should make a suitable Thermistor replacement (although it can be left out entirely)

And the VTL5C/3 should substitute the CLM8200 Vactrol quite happily.

Add an onboard LT1054 charge pump and cram it in a 1590BB (with on board pots of course) could be a nice project? I'm not even a big phase guy and the demos of this do sound great.

As an additional... i've always been interested by the original 70s EHX Zipper (FET not Tube Based) I hear very good things.
Works at Lectric-FX

bigmufffuzzwizz

I almost had one of these from CL for $100 but the guy ever responded..so I second this as a DIY project request!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 20, 2011, 08:14:29 PM
I almost had one of these from CL for $100 but the guy ever responded..so I second this as a DIY project request!
He probably realised it was worth a bit more, I was reading how rare these things are earlier and how much they can fetch (Some people claimed up to $400!).

Lets not forget that Zipper too  8) Saw an awesome demo of it on Youtube - http://youtu.be/zG-uLVxuxSU
Works at Lectric-FX

joe*211

bigmufffuzzwizz

Your probably right about that Scruf! I'm pretty sure it was an original unit too!
Man that zipper sounds awesome! That guy does a very good demo..but to tell you the truth I want a SWAW more!!  :-[
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 21, 2011, 03:34:24 AM
but to tell you the truth I want a SWAW more!!  :-[
...Quiet you!  :P

The SWAW is pretty good I hear, but there are already projects for that one, plus I have a bit of a thing for old EHX effects  ;)
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

dwstanford

I would love to build one of these.  And a polychorus while where at it.  I owned a polyphase a few years back and let it get away.   :(

madbean

I'm pretty much into doing anything EHX related. The polyphase would be cool. I'm diggin the samples I've heard on the echo flanger too. Or the worm, or...fill in the blank.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on December 16, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
I'm pretty much into doing anything EHX related. The polyphase would be cool. I'm diggin the samples I've heard on the echo flanger too. Or the worm, or...fill in the blank.
That's what I like to hear  ;)

The echo flanger would be cool but that'd take some pretty heavy testing to get it working with Panasonic chips instead of Reticons cause I doubt that many people have two SAD1024s spare!
Works at Lectric-FX

cjkbug

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

LaceSensor

I thought the EchoFlanger was essentially a re-dressed PolyChorus
In which case the reissues sound nice and dont use the SAD1024 to the best of my knowledge.
If you are interested to RE the reissue stereo Poly let me know I have one that I can dismantle.

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 17, 2011, 11:41:00 AM
I thought the EchoFlanger was essentially a re-dressed PolyChorus
In which case the reissues sound nice and dont use the SAD1024 to the best of my knowledge.
If you are interested to RE the reissue stereo Poly let me know I have one that I can dismantle.

Yeah, EchoFlanger, PolyChorus, PolyFlange are all the same thing.

I have the schematic of the new one (not the new, new one) a bit of a different design, uses a 3008 & 3009.

Figure people would wanna build one 'close' to the original if anything.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Well... what do you know... 3007/3207 original Polychorus might not be so far off...

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8309&start=60

Bump for Zipper & Polyphase too.
Works at Lectric-FX