News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding buffer to passive volume pedal

Started by sjaustin, October 24, 2018, 04:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaustin

Hey all, I'm trying to get this fairly simple thing to work, and I can't figure out what's going wrong. Thanks in advance for your advice!

What I want to do is add a dual output buffer to an Ernie Ball VP Jr. Here's what I did:

• I populated a PCB, tested that both outputs worked, and set to installing it.
  • I installed a DC jack into the VP and connected PCB power and ground to it. (Also connected an LED/CLR.)
  • I cut traces on the board that connect the IN jack to the tuner OUT jack and the volume pot.
  • I connected the PCB input to the tip of the IN jack.
  • I connected one output to the tip of the tuner OUT jack.
  • I connected the other output to the PCB pad that is connected to the middle lug of the volume pot.
  • I connected the DC jack sleeve to one of the I/O jack sleeves.
Now the pedal functions basically like an on/off switch. Heel down, it's off. As soon as I push the treadle forward at all, it comes in at full volume and stays there for the whole sweep. Any ideas or suggestions?

Marshall Arts

I think, that if you got the 250 k version, the pot should be in front of the buffer input (right behind the guitar).

sjaustin

Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 24, 2018, 05:20:15 PM
I think, that if you got the 250 k version, the pot should be in front of the buffer input (right behind the guitar).

Ah, so then I'd need to connect the input to lug 2 of the pot and the outputs to the tips of the output jacks?

Marshall Arts

Quote from: sjaustin on October 24, 2018, 06:21:21 PM
Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 24, 2018, 05:20:15 PM

Ah, so then I'd need to connect the input to lug 2 of the pot and the outputs to the tips of the output jacks?
I would guess input jack to lug 1 if lug 3 is Gnd. Lug2 to buffer Input, buffer output to output jacks.

playpunk

Quote from: sjaustin on October 24, 2018, 04:27:56 PM
Hey all, I'm trying to get this fairly simple thing to work, and I can't figure out what's going wrong. Thanks in advance for your advice!

What I want to do is add a dual output buffer to an Ernie Ball VP Jr. Here's what I did:

• I populated a PCB, tested that both outputs worked, and set to installing it.
  • I installed a DC jack into the VP and connected PCB power and ground to it. (Also connected an LED/CLR.)
  • I cut traces on the board that connect the IN jack to the tuner OUT jack and the volume pot.
  • I connected the PCB input to the tip of the IN jack.
  • I connected one output to the tip of the tuner OUT jack.
  • I connected the other output to the PCB pad that is connected to the middle lug of the volume pot.
  • I connected the DC jack sleeve to one of the I/O jack sleeves.
Now the pedal functions basically like an on/off switch. Heel down, it's off. As soon as I push the treadle forward at all, it comes in at full volume and stays there for the whole sweep. Any ideas or suggestions?

I pulled the whole PCB out of the Ernie Ball VP I did this to. I put the buffer in front of the volume pot. I used the Aziltz/Coldcraft dual buffer board.

The volume swell worked perfectly on that pedal (until the string broke. I'ts still broken. I won't ever try to fix it again)
"my legend grows" - playpunk

sonnyboy27

I put a single buffer before the volume pot. Sweep is still good. There's post in my blog about it. https://prentisseffects.blogspot.com/2017/01/ernie-ball-vp-jr-tone-suck-mod.html

It doesn't use a dual buffer but it works just as well. This is the method I've seen in a bunch of modded Ernie Ball VPs that I've fixed strings for.

sjaustin

Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 24, 2018, 08:05:32 PMI would guess input jack to lug 1 if lug 3 is Gnd. Lug2 to buffer Input, buffer output to output jacks.
This worked perfectly. Fixed the problems. Thanks!

Quote from: playpunk on October 24, 2018, 09:12:22 PMI pulled the whole PCB out of the Ernie Ball VP I did this to. I put the buffer in front of the volume pot. I used the Aziltz/Coldcraft dual buffer board.

The volume swell worked perfectly on that pedal (until the string broke. I'ts still broken. I won't ever try to fix it again)
Let me know if you'd like to unload it! This job was for a friend, and I kinda want one for myself. I wouldn't mind trying the string replacement job.

gordo

String replacement is an adventure but I've done a whole bunch of them.  There are some really good videos of the process on the web.  I may have uttered a few streams of profanities from time to time.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

playpunk

Quote from: sjaustin on October 25, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 24, 2018, 08:05:32 PMI would guess input jack to lug 1 if lug 3 is Gnd. Lug2 to buffer Input, buffer output to output jacks.
This worked perfectly. Fixed the problems. Thanks!

Quote from: playpunk on October 24, 2018, 09:12:22 PMI pulled the whole PCB out of the Ernie Ball VP I did this to. I put the buffer in front of the volume pot. I used the Aziltz/Coldcraft dual buffer board.

Let me know if you'd like to unload it! This job was for a friend, and I kinda want one for myself. I wouldn't mind trying the string replacement job.

PM me your address and you can have the whole kit and caboodle. It seems like a cruel thing to ask for money for.
"my legend grows" - playpunk