News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UGD - Danelectro!

Started by madbean, February 20, 2022, 02:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I haven't bought much gear in the last couple years. Last year my only instrument acquisition was a used Baritone acoustic (pretty fun to fool around on). I found this used Danelectro '59NOS for a good deal. It's got a couple minor chips and scratches but nothing that bothers me. The main thing I was looking for is a completely different tone to my other guitars. The lipstick pickups are on the weaker side but I like weak-ish single coils sometimes. Interesting thing is it sounds like the middle position is wired in series because there is a big volume jump there.

Overall, really liking it. It was cheap, it's easy to play and it's got its own sound. It will need a bit of setup work. It came with 10's and the action is too low and neck is too straight. In another week when it's fully acclimated to the Tenn climate, I'll put 11's on it, give it a little more neck relief and raise the action a bit. The low E string saddle needs a little rounding over but I've done that before.

Anyway, pretty solid and cheap guitar if you are looking for something different. Looks cool with the copper/sparkle finish!

harryklippton

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eatin crackers...love the color, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

I think they look really cool.  That's a nice colour too, happy UGD! :)

matmosphere

Nice! It's a looker for sure and I bet it's fun to play.

Paradox916

That thing is pretty sweet definitely has that mid century modern look to it +1 for the baritone!

madbean

Follow-up after a week. I cleaned the Danelectro up, put NYXL 11's on it and did a basic setup. It's pretty killer. I'd recommend this one to anyone looking for a cheap guitar with a different feel and sound - esp. if you find a used one. It has a really good vibe and is super easy to play.

The only thing I cannot figure out is the truss rod adjustment. It has a cover at the top but after looking inside there's no hex nut. The cap is round. So, I'm wondering if the adjustment is at the bottom of the neck. I might have to take it off and have a look. This neck came with zero relief so it's something to be addressed. It needs at least 7-8 thou of relief, IMO.

After taking off the pickguard, I did confirm that it's plywood construction on the main body. The top and bottom cap may be regular lumber. Pretty hollowed out from poking around inside.

jimilee

Yeah, according to the googles, you gotta remove the neck and turn it a 1/4" per day. That's gotta make adjusting it terrible. I have an Ibanez acoustic bass like that.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Just makes me think they might be beans

Works at Lectric-FX

peAk

matmosphere

Quote from: Scruffie on March 02, 2022, 12:02:52 AM
Just makes me think they might be beans

He might be Dr Spock's backup band!

This wreaks of tabloid footprints! Tabloid footprints everywhere.