News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sharkfin

Started by fendman, September 20, 2013, 10:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

Hi, Finally finished the Sharkfin.

Sounds good... Really quacks on the filter side which I like, the S&H is funny I thought it reminded me of the music in the film Ice Age for some reason. Yes there is a wide range of sounds which I haven't heard yet so I have a bit of twiddling to do on the two presets.

The Ua741 ic's are out of another project which I have got problems with. I used them just to see if they were ok so they will stay with it now. The stomp switch LED is a tri colour, which I got from Rapid. It has anode and cathode just like a regular led....surprised me as I thought there would be a few leads on it.

The filter led is orange, it works only in the S&H mode. One thing I did notice..the S&H  is on the input side, it doesn't matter I just routed the leads across from the stomp switch to the jack. Just thought I would mention it as I didn't notice it at first until I had drilled all the holes.

Anyway there it is...a nice project worth doing, thanks Brian.

Mike

Cortexturizer

Awesome!
any chance of a soundclip?

always a great day when I notice a sharkfin build, hooray!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

selfdestroyer

Very cool paint job on that.

Hangingmonkey

Cool. When the pedal is off and if you turn on thr SH then do you get a loud thumping noise from the lfo. Thats what happens on my one

bcalla

I love those swirly finishes.  Very nice.

alanp

Those small knobs look really cool :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

fendman

Quote from: Cortexturizer on September 20, 2013, 10:42:44 AM
Awesome!
any chance of a soundclip?

always a great day when I notice a sharkfin build, hooray!

Thanks, I would love to be able to do a demo...I have tried before with Audacity, it didn't come out good. I just don't have the gear to do it. :( I would like someone to give a simple tutorial on it, I did try again this afternoon but it was terrible.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 20, 2013, 04:42:14 PM
Very cool paint job on that.

Thanks Cody, I did it with cocktail sticks...I have done swirls and wanted this to be just a bit different and I was quite pleased with the result. My camera work doesn't do it justice hahahaa. 

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on September 20, 2013, 07:00:13 PM
Cool. When the pedal is off and if you turn on thr SH then do you get a loud thumping noise from the lfo. Thats what happens on my one

Hi, yes  I usually get 4-5 beats, its almost like tap tempo, but I get the plops and plings and the other sounds its quite comical. If you play something like "one of these nights" Eagles.. it sounds ok ish with that. :)

Quote from: bcalla on September 20, 2013, 08:52:56 PM

I love those swirly finishes.  Very nice.
Thanks fella

Quote from: alanp on September 20, 2013, 10:09:07 PM
Those small knobs look really cool :)

I am waiting for some new knobs as I have run down on them....Those three are off my first commercial pedal  I got in 1983...  :o  An Orion  Metal Master  and it still sounds terrible  hahahaa  yes  it still works.

jimilee

It looks great!  I noticed on the other sharkfin that was posted at the same time, a envelope / SH switch and yours doesn't, is that a mod or a feature of the build itself?
  To record audio, what I do is turn on voice recorder on my smart phone, record and upload to soundcloud or record straight into sound cloud with a microphone. No editing required.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fendman

Thanks Jimi, Yes you can use a stomp switch as I did or a toggle switch. I did order two toggle switches but decided in the end to go with the stomp. (To lazy to bend down, quicker to stand on it).

Whats a smart phone?? You won't believe this...my phone is so old it has no camera and it is Pay as you  go, no apps , internet, nothing...just a bog standard small brick. Now you know why I can't record demos.
:-[ 

Cheers
Mike