News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5 Volt to 9 Volt

Started by jfk1063, March 21, 2014, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfk1063

Hi,
I would like to use a 5V battery (4500mah), like used to charge a cellphone (usb device), to power my mini-pedalboard.
Can I use the roadrage voltagedoubler? (so 5V to 10V)
Thanks!

Thomas_H

No.   ;D

The roadrage will only be able to provide a few mA of current. Thats enough for a single pedal but not for a whole pedalboard.
You could Use 12V batteries and a 9V power regulator.

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Scruffie

As long as your pedals can all take 10V... use 2 in series?
Works at Lectric-FX

Thomas_H

Do you know the current your pedalboard draws when all effects are on?
DIY-PCBs and projects:

RobA

Either of these two parts are ideal for doing this,
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/468/RO-225928.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/281/kdc_meu1-267600.pdf
They're basically the same thing but the second part is smaller in size. They are isolated and quite clean. There are a couple of ways you could use them. You could make a little breakout box that took in a 5V power source (it could even be a USB connector to match the available batteries) and put them inside of that and break each of them out to a couple of 9V outputs. The other way, and this is where I'm leaning now, is to move the pedals to taking 5V inputs and then using one of these of the appropriate output voltage in each pedal. Since they are isolated and available in 9V, 12V, 15V, and bipolar +/- output versions, you can do pretty much any circuit by putting the right one in the pedal.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jfk1063

Thank you for the replies.

Pedalboard: wah, tuner, boost, drive, delay, so current?

I think each pedal can take 10v? That 1v won't hurt?

So two in series or the last option looks good too!

Thanks again!

Willybomb

I've used 9.6v RC battery packs to power a pedalboard...

RobA

Quote from: jfk1063 on March 22, 2014, 11:02:42 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Pedalboard: wah, tuner, boost, drive, delay, so current?

I think each pedal can take 10v? That 1v won't hurt?

So two in series or the last option looks good too!

Thanks again!
The tuner and delay, depending on the model, could both be using a lot of current. The wah might, but probably only if it is digital. Either way, two of the 4.5Ah packs in series would run for quite a while. There are bigger packs than that available cheap now to.

One thing about running them in series is the charging part. As long as you charge them out of the circuit it should be fine. Charging them in-circuit can depend on what charge controller IC the pack uses. Most of them seem to be designed to handle charging only one LiPo cell.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).