News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD + Opinions Wanted

Started by culturejam, August 03, 2018, 08:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

Quote from: Aristatertotle on August 04, 2018, 03:48:04 AM
You could do a couple of Filtertrons  or Fender Widerange pickups. Or do something you don't see as much and get a couple of Mosrite style pickups. I believe you can buy some from Hallmark guitars.

Any of these + a tort pickguard gets my vote

JC103

Stra-dogs from Vineham in Canada. P90's fit for a strat! Just do two, one in the neck, one in the bridge. You'll need a pickguard with no middle position cutout, but hey, you could get a set of three!

pickdropper

I like HSS for many of the reasons Rockhorst said, but I've thought about doing a Filtertron + S + S, which would be odd, yet awesome (I think).  Something like a TV Jones Classic would balance better with many singles as far as output, but can rock better than most singles, and would sound like it's own thing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aentons

How about some splittable EMG's for that active flavor?

juansolo

Tele pickup in the bridge (might have to swap the neck and middle around to get them to hum cancel with it). Then add a super switch and wire it for the following options 1-B, 2-B&N, 3-M, 4-M&N, 5-N. Because strateles are where it's at :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

Quote from: JC103 on August 04, 2018, 07:02:37 PM
Stra-dogs from Vineham in Canada. P90's fit for a strat! Just do two, one in the neck, one in the bridge. You'll need a pickguard with no middle position cutout, but hey, you could get a set of three!

Bookmarked his site, thanks, had never heard of him before.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

timbo_93631

Neck and Bridge Filtertrons, Jag, Tele neck, or Lipstick middle.  Johnny Hiland wiring with Oak Grigsby 5-way 2 pole for neck, middle, neck+bridge, middle+bridge, bridge. 
Also the Guitar Fetish solid Trem blocks are a nice upgrade over the pot metal Squier units.  I have done many guitars with the steel version and it is great.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Rockhorst

Liking PD's Filtertron suggestion. That will turn some hands and make it a conversation piece after every gig you do with it ;)

stringsthings

I too, prefer locking tuners.  As soon as I heard about Sperzel, I installed them on all my guitars.
Once, during a gig, I broke my high E.  I was able to change it mid-song. 
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

I got a set of HipShot locking tuners on there today. They are excellent! Wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never used any of their parts in the past (and it was fairly cheap), but color me impressed.

Now, the stock tuners aren't garbage like you usually see on cheaper import guitars. They are decent enough, but they don't lock and have a 14:1 gear ratio. The HipShots are 18:1 and are smooth as butter. They require a bit of pressure to get moving, which I think is a good thing. Here's a link to the ones I got: https://amzn.to/2OeXB25

I love the mounting plates which negate the need for drilling holes. So you can add these tunes without altering the headstock in any way.

Got some Fender string trees while I was at it. I hate those flimsy little three-piece trees that came on the guitar. Petty thing to nitpick, I know. But I likes what I likes.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stringsthings

Quote from: culturejam on August 05, 2018, 03:01:16 AM
I got a set of HipShot locking tuners on there today. They are excellent! ...
I love the mounting plates which negate the need for drilling holes. So you can add these tunes without altering the headstock in any way.

Nice!

(I had to do a bit of drilling for the Sperzels)
All You Need Is Love

jimilee

I wind my strings the way Joe Bonamassa does it, although I'm sure he isn't the original to do it that way. But it works really well, I had some slippage on my SG that wouldn't stop, and this did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

I did some play testing last night with this new Strat vs my PRS SE Custom 24. Definitely digging the humbucker tone over singles with heavier drive. Clean, I like them both, although these Duncan-designed singles are a little thin/bright for me.

So yeah, I'm going to go with dual humbuckers in the Strat. Just need to pick a wiring scheme. I'm thinking one with some coil cutting in the 2/4 positions and the middle position with two cut coils together will give some flexibility (and I never use both humckers on anyway).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Aentons

I use the Jimmy Page 50's style wiring on my SG. It is very versatile, I highly recommend it.

sjaustin

Quote from: culturejam on August 05, 2018, 03:01:16 AM
I got a set of HipShot locking tuners on there today. They are excellent! Wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never used any of their parts in the past (and it was fairly cheap), but color me impressed.

Now, the stock tuners aren't garbage like you usually see on cheaper import guitars. They are decent enough, but they don't lock and have a 14:1 gear ratio. The HipShots are 18:1 and are smooth as butter. They require a bit of pressure to get moving, which I think is a good thing. Here's a link to the ones I got: https://amzn.to/2OeXB25

Got some Fender string trees while I was at it. I hate those flimsy little three-piece trees that came on the guitar. Petty thing to nitpick, I know. But I likes what I likes.  ;D

My guitar tech swears by Hipshots. I put some on my CV Tele, and they're great. The mounting plate is ingenious. They also make a staggered post height version which eliminates the need for string trees.