News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Timeline Delay?

Started by shawnee, March 03, 2012, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Hello guys, for those of you who picked up the Strymon Timeline dealy, how does it sound compared to your true MN3005 analog builds?

jkokura

The timeline is a completely different delay, and I have not compared it to a true analog delay. I use them completely differently.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

shawnee

Understood. I guess the real question is: how close is the BBD settings compared to the real thing?

jtn191

I've wondered the same thing. Does a El-Capistan make an echoplex obsolete? From what I've heard, they don't sound the same, the Timeline is just a more versatile convenient tool

gtr2

I have an el capstan and an echoplex.  They do not sound the same in my opinion.  I prefer the echoplex at home.

But... it's about the closest you can get to one without lugging around an echoplex to a gig.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Quote from: shawnee on March 03, 2012, 02:26:31 PM
Understood. I guess the real question is: how close is the BBD settings compared to the real thing?

Good enough.

Is it exactly the same? I'm sure someone sitting with them could both distinguish the difference. But who does that and why? In a full band mix, or in a live situation you could not tell the difference if you've properly done the settings.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

eldanko

What Jacob said.

I own a Timeline that I interchange with 2 MN3005 Dirtbags that are run in stereo.  The analogs do sound warmer to my ears when playing alone, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a live setting.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

shawnee

Thanks guys. My Boss DM-2 was my favorite BB delay but I wanted more than 300ms so I sold it. I really like tape delay too though. Hmmmm. Madbean build, Timeline, or El Capistan? Decisions decisions.

jubal81

Quote from: shawnee on March 03, 2012, 10:34:40 PM
Thanks guys. My Boss DM-2 was my favorite BB delay but I wanted more than 300ms so I sold it. I really like tape delay too though. Hmmmm. Madbean build, Timeline, or El Capistan? Decisions decisions.

I'm pretty much set on a Cap. Getting one isn't easy, though. Strymon can't make enough to meet demand. I've heard lead times are 6-10 weeks.  :o
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

I have an El Cap, a Timeline, and I have played plenty of Analog Delays and am in the process of debugging my own Dirtbag.

I can tell you that I LOVE the El Cap, but it is a bit of a one trick pony for such an expensive delay pedal - bt a DM2/DMM is more so if the El Cap is! I don't think there are wait times really. I got mine more than a year ago and I got it instantly when I ordered it. What I like about it is how beautiful it sounds. It really is something special compared to the sterile Digital pedals we can spend $50-150 on. I do really enjoy the sound of the PT2399 delays as well, and have one that I use as much as the El Cap. It's the one that I sell actually.

The Timeline is another monster entirely. I feel like it has more in common with the expensive rack mount delays than it does the stompboxes we use. It's so complicated and deep I think it's actually less useful in a live context than as a studio delay. However, I will use it live in the future, especially after I work on my album this spring.

I like Analog Delay, but as I mentioned, part of the problem with them is they are one trick sort of pedals. That's totally great if you're a set it and forget it sort of person. Truthfully I don't feel that any digital delay can really replicate the sound of a well designed and tuned Analog delay. But while it may not do that, the Timeline certainly gets close enough AND has an enormous number of other special things it can do in the meantime.

Best world? Do what I'm doing and have all three to use in different circumstances as needed. Have to prioritize? Than I would get them in this order:

Analog Delay (because it's the least expensive)
El Cap (because it's quick to get up and running and way more helpful live)
Timeline (because it's special)

If I had to cut my delays back, the order I'd get rid of them is:

Analog Delay (because it's easily replaceable)
El Capistan (because it's moderately replaceable)
Timeline (because it can do live what the other two do, and it's the hardest to replace)

I know I already answered this thread, but I wanted to flesh out my post a bit better.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

shawnee

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on March 04, 2012, 03:18:41 AM
Truthfully I don't feel that any digital delay can really replicate the sound of a well designed and tuned Analog delay.

I generally agree. But I'll have to say that the Hardwire DL8 in Analog mode is the closest thing I've heard. I played it side-by-side with a Melekko 616 and the similarity was uncanny. Never played a Brigadier, though.

I also agree with you that the El Cap is amazing.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

shawnee

I guess if the Timeline will do everything except dual head mode on the El Capistan, then that is really the way to go.

shawnee

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: does the timeline have the spring reverb feature like the El Capistan has?

jkokura

I don't think so, at least I haven't noticed that it does.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*