News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stormcloud Distortion - Madbean Rainy Day

Started by chromesphere, March 01, 2012, 12:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Yo dudes.
Finished off this one a few days ago. I have recorded a video build report and sound demo of this one, so you can hear it and see it (guts in the build report).
Hope you like it!
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

F.... lipping hot!  What a great sounding distortion... link to project???
Nice build man :)

chromesphere

lol cheers man :D Once you EQ it right it sounds pretty ballsy.

Project file is in the extra projects section of this forum:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2880.0

I used the tl071 sub as recommended, worked first go!
Paul

Diamond

Damn! From the topic at FSB I expected this to sound way more like a super bright high gain metal distortion, but the truth is that it sounds really absolutely great in this video! A whole lot better than I expected. Great job!

chromesphere

Thanks Diamond.  Im not too keen on the top end in the Rainy Day.  I mentioned in the build report that i turn the treble on the pedal down to about 3 (9 o'clock) and the treble up on my amp.  Sounds pretty good that way.

bigrigg

Good demo and build report.  Much appreciated. Thanks

chromesphere

Thanks for the nice comment bigrigg ,glad you liked it!  It's a pretty easy build, not much to it, if high-gain is your sort of distortion, give it a shot!
Paul

slimtriggers

That was nice demo/build report.  Sounds great!  Sorry if I missed it, but what guitar/amp were you using?  The clean sound was nice , too 8)

chromesphere

Hey Slim,
I didnt mention it in the video but the guitar is a gibson SG, late 90's and a bat cat hot cat 30r 2004 (bought it from keysandguitar member on this forum). Really nice amp, clean channel does warm and fender 'chimey' really well.
Paul

keysandguitars

Sounds great. It's my go to distortion for heavier stuff. I agree with the tone knob. I keep mine lower than 3, otherwise it's just too bright for my taste. Nice video, it's cool to see it all in motion, the sound and the guts/build.

Play a nice fat chord on the Bad Cat for me  :'( Damn, I miss that amp.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

Haberdasher

Cool vid.

I built one a while back and wasn't thrilled.  IIRC it seemed like there should have been more distortion.  Maybe I had the tone up too high or maybe a wrong resistor somewhere.  I might dig it out and see what's up.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

cjkbug

wow what a great sounding distortion!!! super fat and crunchy!
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

chromesphere

Thanks guys,
Keys, your amp tells me it misses you too :) Dont worry mate, its in good hands!

Yeah i find it 'thickens' up when you crank up the gain.  I'll have to try a boost infront of it and slam that puppy.
Paul

bigmufffuzzwizz

Sounds really good! Not what I was expecting at all when I first saw that project. Thanks for sharing.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

BRGPollen

Hey Cromsphere,
        Is there a BOM anywhere in the thread.  I can't seem to find it.  I snagged the Layout & Schematic, but no BOM.  Any help would be appreciated.

B

edit ........ I see it now ooops.
The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb