News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flapjack

Started by mjcyates, April 25, 2012, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

Just finished the Flapjack. This is definitely not a run-of-the-mill overdrive. Definitely unique. These pictures make it look whiter than it actually is. It is the Cream finish from mammoth.

jtn191

looks nice and clean, man!

CarpathiART

Clean and simple, except the cogwheel washer is f**king rad! A Nice touch..

LaceSensor

what pot values did you use, please?

mjcyates

Quotewhat pot values did you use, please?

For Volume and Presence I used the stock values from the build doc. For Gain I tried 10K, 50K, and 25K. They all seem to bunch the gain up on the far end of the sweep. If I keep it I will do some more experimenting.

LaceSensor

How did the maxed out gain sound differ with the different pots?
Ive built other hot cakes and this bunching seems normal, its like - lots of room for boost, some overdrive, then BAM right at the end, FUZZZZ

I kinda like it, just wanted to know if the different pot values made much difference to a) taper and b) overall gain

cheers

mjcyates

They didn't seem that different to me. They all pretty much had the same behavior you described.

Bret608

I wonder if a reverse taper might be worth trying out? I don't know if it would effect some the boost capabilities adversely; just thought I would put that out there!

LaceSensor

I've got a 50k C I might try that...

mjcyates

I put a 50kC in mine and it works much better.

jtn191

Quote from: mjcyates on May 06, 2012, 07:26:49 PM

good to know, I'll revise the build doc with this suggestion  :)

LaceSensor

Quote from: mjcyates on May 06, 2012, 07:26:49 PM

Can you provide details of the benefits please?

mjcyates

It just provides a more gradual sweep. With the other pots there was not much transition in the gain. It basically went from not much overdrive to fuzz. This reverse taper pot spreads it out a little better.

LaceSensor

Quote from: mjcyates on May 07, 2012, 04:48:15 PM
It just provides a more gradual sweep. With the other pots there was not much transition in the gain. It basically went from not much overdrive to fuzz. This reverse taper pot spreads it out a little better.

Ah, cool. I have one that I will use on the next Hotcake I make. Cheers for the feedback.