News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there a soul preacher clone?

Started by jimilee, July 04, 2013, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I have recently been using a soul preacher compressor on bass,and it sounds great in my opinion,(but not so much on guitar) is there a clone I could build since it's a borrowed pedal?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Why don't you open it up and take a look? See what it's made of? If you can disassemble and snap good pics, we might be able to back trace it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

I have schematics for what I think is an older version. But, I don't remember where I found them and I have no idea how accurate they are. This schem I have is a JFET based one that is similar to an OS in design. The newer versions are supposed to be different.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GermanCdn

Jimi, there's a vero layout of it on sabrotone as well, I've got the board cut for it I just haven't populated it yet as I am about a hundred boards behind right now.

Personally, I find the Dynas and the ET work best on bass, finishing off an ET with Jacobs Panner to give it a little bit of Tone Press type feel.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 04, 2013, 08:26:18 PM

Personally, I find the Dynas and the ET work best on bass, finishing off an ET with Jacobs Panner to give it a little bit of Tone Press type feel.
For bass?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Yeah, for bass.  I love the sound of my Warwick through them, it tightens everything up while putting a little ambience in them.  For guitars, I prefer the Tone Press, Afterlife, or Bearhug, all depending on which guitar (I really like the Bearhug in tandem with Josh's Little Red for strats, and the Afterlife teamed up with a bloviater and a Fatpants for teles).

Reason I'm putting the panner in is to be able to dial out a bit of the squish from the direct signal without actually reducing the squish.  I know, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5560115/Soulpreacher.zip
I can't believe how few components I'm seeing. I left these full resolution so you could see the detail better. opefully these are good enough of one side. I really don't want to take my friends pedal apart. ;D

RobA

I'm guessing all the IC and resistors are on the other side and that it's SMD. I really doubt that the schematics I have are for this version.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jkokura

Yeah, you're not actually seeing the circuit there. You need to disassemble it all to get at that stuff.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

drezdn

If you want to buy a soul preacher, I can sell you one really really cheap. I bought it a few weeks ago, and then finished a 1776 Bearhug and am using that instead (on guitar).  If I had my bass rig at home, I'd record you a demo of both of them.

jimilee

Oh yeah this is the el nano version it has a knee switch for soft med and hard, that's my attraction to it.

jimilee

Quote from: drezdn on July 04, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
If you want to buy a soul preacher, I can sell you one really really cheap. I bought it a few weeks ago, and then finished a 1776 Bearhug and am using that instead (on guitar).  If I had my bass rig at home, I'd record you a demo of both of them.
how cheap?

drezdn

For you, $35 including shipping. It's the Nano, includes the box. Works perfectly.

As mentioned above, I've only had it few weeks, and bought it from another forum member.

jimilee

Quote from: drezdn on July 04, 2013, 10:09:50 PM
For you, $35 including shipping. It's the Nano, includes the box. Works perfectly.

As mentioned above, I've only had it few weeks, and bought it from another forum member.
I'm in!Where you want the money sent?