News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone else get the Covid Vaccine?

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 09, 2021, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Haven't had it yet, but I had a txt from my local pharmacy that this year's influenza shots are going to be heavily delayed. They didn't say, but I'm picking they had a choice of shipping either 'rona or flu, but not both.

(And as a side note, the NorthAm terminology of calling pharmacies "drug stores" always cracks me up. It sounds like you're going to the local tinnie house for medicine and not wacky baccy.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on April 02, 2021, 05:17:33 PM
Haven't had it yet, but I had a txt from my local pharmacy that this year's influenza shots are going to be heavily delayed. They didn't say, but I'm picking they had a choice of shipping either 'rona or flu, but not both.

(And as a side note, the NorthAm terminology of calling pharmacies "drug stores" always cracks me up. It sounds like you're going to the local tinnie house for medicine and not wacky baccy.)

Okay, tinnie house is not one I've heard. Please share

davent

Was announced yesterday that my demographic could get on the list for a shot at a nearby 'drug store', the one around the corner not part of the program, being April 1st took it as a scam. Today, it's really happening so my wife and i are on 'the list' for first available time which according to the system could still be months away,  yes still as scam.

Quote from: alanp on April 02, 2021, 05:17:33 PM

Canada's largest retail drug store chain is "Shopper's Drug Mart", i've never ever heard our legal retail weed stores  referred to as drug stores.
https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/home
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jolinemelina

Vaccines will work with your immune system so it will be ready to fight the virus if you are exposed. The combination of getting vaccinated and following the recommendations to protect yourself and others will offer the best protection from COVID-19. Stopping a pandemic requires using all the tools we have available. There's need to take it

EBK

I received from a friend a sketchy link to get vaccinated today in my area with the J&J vaccine.  Supposedly, no age or medical condition restrictions.  The link points to an app hosting platform called Heroku.  I'm staying away. 

I imagine the scam works like this:
1. Advertise immediate, ACT SOON, vaccine availability for otherwise ineligible folks.
2.  Gather personal information via web forms.
3. Throw a "Sorry, all appointments have been taken" error message.
4.  Sell the collected data.

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Quote from: alanp on April 02, 2021, 06:44:04 PM
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tinnie%20house

It's a pretty common slang term, here.

May be uniquely New Zealand, from wikipedia;

In New Zealand, a "tinny" or "tinnie" can be a small package of cannabis wrapped in tin foil (cf. 'foilies' in Australia), retailing for between NZ$20–25 (depending on the region). A building where such retailing takes place (commonly a superficially unremarkable home) is a "tinnie house".[2] Other drugs such as methamphetamine may be available as well. In recent years the term has become not unusual in New Zealand court judgments involving the Misuse of Drugs Act.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

dont-tase-me-bro

I got Pfizer #2 last week.  #1 had no side effects, #2 had me tired for about two days, but after that, back to normal.  I got it at a megasite run by the US military, extremely well run and efficient.  Those dudes run a tight ship

But according to an article I just read, Pfizer may only last six months then you need another, which I hope isn't correct
I thought this would save me money.

DLW

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on April 03, 2021, 12:15:07 AMBut according to an article I just read, Pfizer may only last six months then you need another, which I hope isn't correct

According to a public statement from Pfizer/BioNTech, they have data that indicates the the vaccine is 91% effective at least 6 months after vaccination.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious

culturejam

Got Moderna #1 on Wednesday.

Quote from: madbean on March 25, 2021, 01:14:03 AM
Shot 1 today. Very mild soreness in arm but barely noticeable. However, the first couple hours after the shot I definitely felt a bit out of it. Felt fine afterward. I guess it kicks your immune system into high gear for a bit?

Same exact response for me. Arm was sore, and I felt really weird for about 4-5 hours after the shot. Since then, no symptoms or side effects.

Probably it was the micro-chip powering up that made me feel weird.  :o ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

slacker775

Quote from: culturejam on April 03, 2021, 05:36:16 AM
Got Moderna #1 on Wednesday.

Quote from: madbean on March 25, 2021, 01:14:03 AM
Shot 1 today. Very mild soreness in arm but barely noticeable. However, the first couple hours after the shot I definitely felt a bit out of it. Felt fine afterward. I guess it kicks your immune system into high gear for a bit?

Same exact response for me. Arm was sore, and I felt really weird for about 4-5 hours after the shot. Since then, no symptoms or side effects.

Probably it was the micro-chip powering up that made me feel weird.  :o ;D
Well, it is designed by Bill Gates so it needs a bunch of patches and reboots after it first starts up

matmosphere

Quote from: DLW on April 03, 2021, 01:32:28 AM
Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on April 03, 2021, 12:15:07 AMBut according to an article I just read, Pfizer may only last six months then you need another, which I hope isn't correct

According to a public statement from Pfizer/BioNTech, they have data that indicates the the vaccine is 91% effective at least 6 months after vaccination.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious

I read similar things. Some people are saying immunity will start to drop off after six or seven months and decrease slowly. But hey, if we need a booster shot or whatever once a twice a year that really isn't a big deal. Most people get flu shots every year anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being similar.

The thing I have wondered about with all of this recently is, while the closest analogy we seem to have is the 1918 flu, the worlds population has increased by almost an order of magnitude since then. Does the high population allowing the virus to mutate more quickly, and what will that mean for the vaccines long term. Is this just going to be drawn out until a large enough percentage of the world can be vaccinated to prevent further mutations? I hope not, but either way things are a lot more hopeful now than they were a year ago.

gordo

I'm not saying they put a tracker in the vaccine, but if I hold my arms over my head I get really good reception on Ch 2  ::)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

DLW

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 03, 2021, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: DLW on April 03, 2021, 01:32:28 AM

I read similar things. Some people are saying immunity will start to drop off after six or seven months and decrease slowly. But hey, if we need a booster shot or whatever once a twice a year that really isn't a big deal. Most people get flu shots every year anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being similar.

The thing I have wondered about with all of this recently is, while the closest analogy we seem to have is the 1918 flu, the worlds population has increased by almost an order of magnitude since then. Does the high population allowing the virus to mutate more quickly, and what will that mean for the vaccines long term. Is this just going to be drawn out until a large enough percentage of the world can be vaccinated to prevent further mutations? I hope not, but either way things are a lot more hopeful now than they were a year ago.

CoV2 will likely enter permanent circulation, as has been the case with virtually all pandemic viruses. It will also slowly mutate and force the need for modified vaccines and booster vaccinations. However, the threat posed by CoV2 (if you are fortunate/smart enough to be vaccinated or had COVID19), is effectively over. CoV2 is no longer a novel virus. Novel viruses are problematic, not just because they're unpredictable, but also our immune systems are completely naive to infection and disease is much more severe as a result - think small pox effect on native Americans in the 1600s. In other words, CoV2 will still cause disease and it makes sense from a public health perspective to continue to vaccinate against it, but the chance you'll be hospitalized or die from it is, by comparison to the situation in 2020, vanishingly small.

Tbh, I'd worry more about the next novel virus that will cause a pandemic. It sounds crazy, but we lucked out with CoV2. CoV2 is less infective than measles, less lethal than Ebola, doesn't cause birth defects like Zika, doesn't have a long incubation period like HIV, and is not hypermutable like influenza A. There is not much preventing a virus from being above average in all of those categories, and that would result in an existential threat to mankind.

dan.schumaker

Got my first shot today.  The hospital here has a real streamlined system, in and out real quick.  In fact, I spent more time waiting in line for coffee for my wife than at the hospital...

All that to say, I hope whoever in the government who is assigned to reading my thoughts likes guitars  ;D