News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

trying to build a pedal, and something is not right...

Started by michael J, November 28, 2014, 03:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael J

well, to start. Happy thanksgiving! secondly, I have started building a kit from mammoth named the "DSOTM FUZZ"  I soldered in all the components according to the circuit board, and connected the circuit board to the pedal as the instructions say. however, when I plug it in to my amp, the led won't light up when the switch is turned on, nor will the pedal work. It only has a low-frequency beep... it also makes the light on my power supply, go from a steady light to a flashing light mimicking the low frequency beep. As far as I can see nothing is linked together with the solder. (This is my first project, and I'm not great at using solder... lol) 

I have no idea what is wrong with it. If this is like any problems that you guys have dealt with, I would love some advice concerning my problems. Or if there any of those "typical rookie mistakes" that you would like to point out to me, I am open to ALL who feel they can help!!!!!!! PLZ!!! lol
Modify message

jimilee

Happy thanksgiving to you as well. Sounds like the ground and the 9v are backwards for starters, also pictures would be huge. Sharp clearly lot of both sides of the board and off board wiring.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Hey, and welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for some good first steps in trouble shooting, check out this thread here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Also, you've posted this in not quite the right section, so I'll be moving the post to the tech help area.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

blearyeyes

Welcome to the best site for guitar pedal builders!

+1 to all the above statements.
Gotta have pictures of your PC Board to try to be able to see what the issue might be.

The DSOTM Fuzz - Luna Fuzz - Early Gilmourish Tones
is one of Barry's boards from Guitar PCB:
http://www.guitarpcb.com/
You could sign up and post in his support forum as well.
He has a ton of information posted there regarding starting out building pedals.

Good luck on your trouble shooting and I hope you get it working soon!