News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So this was a first....

Started by GermanCdn, January 02, 2013, 05:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So I was building a vero Orange Squeezer to bass specs, fired it up, worked like a charm, started noodling away when I get that all too familiar burning component smell.  Touched the IC and the transistor, nothing, figure I'm imagining it or having a stroke, keep playing, only to see the sustain pot (wired up externally) starting to glow red hot and smoke.  Needless to say, it got a quick bath in the toilet, and a new build will be started off a different layout, as I suspect it was missing a ground on the layout I was working off of.  Made for a fun New Years Eve.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

madbean

Wow, now that is something I've never seen! A glowing red pot.

Or, maybe I have...in my college years.

juansolo

Exploded a cap (they let go with a BANG), but never made anything glow (that wasn't meant to). Impressive!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Ettore_M

It has happened to me too!! I was testing a Standard Fuzz build last year (I mean 2011!  ;D) and the pot was sorting with the 9V supply. Not only glowing red, but smoking too!  :D

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

GermanCdn

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose done it, Hector.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gtr2

Nothing like burning electronics to get the blood pumping!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

icecycle66

Did it produce nice warm tones?

GermanCdn

Oddly enough, it did produce nice warm tones.  If I could control the burn, I'd market it as "One Smokin' Hot Compressor".  Terrible joke, I know.  Funny thing was, it didn't start smoking until 80% rotation, so theoretically I could control it with a resistor in series....

midwayfair

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 02, 2013, 06:25:23 PMFunny thing was, it didn't start smoking until 80% rotation, so theoretically I could control it with a resistor in series....

Chances are your FET was in backwards. I've burned up at least one trimpot by putting Q1 in the wrong way.

The pedal might actually be fine; I'd at least try fixing it first.

DutchMF

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 02, 2013, 06:25:23 PM
If I could control the burn...

You wouldn't have to mount an indicator LED!  ;)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

Market it as a stoner rock pedal.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

First one you could light up off, though  :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Hangingmonkey