madbeanpedals::forum

Projects => Build Reports => Topic started by: greysun on October 09, 2026, 10:35:12 PM

Title: Springboard springs to life…
Post by: greysun on October 09, 2026, 10:35:12 PM
... or you'd think so anyway!

Had a 'time' with the switching board, which cause for a lot of desoldering and wound up just rebuilding that section entirely to get it working. But - it worked!

Built into a 125b and I am very glad for that! Didn't have to worry about height of components or the fact that I hacked the pots using whatever I had (note the very "lovely" perf board adapter at the edge of the board for a 16mm-to-9mm workable situation - the pots are also why there's some wires coming up). I could socket the switching board parts and not worry about the spacing with the belton brick. Ace.

I had to angle all the resistors, which fit perfectly and had no issues getting those into place.

I wasn't (and am still not) convinced my leaf sockets are strong enough to hold that brick for the long haul, so i added some padding to the base to kind of hold it in there. I think the leaf sockets are brilliant, I just think mine are cheap lol.

Enclosure is a monthly drop from love my switches (cherry cola?). Eventually I might fire up the cricut and put some decals on it like the blue steel behind it, but like most of my pedals, I like it looking like a weird toy.

Sounds good and seemingly working well. Pics:

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/05d5af0a11035728fe2b14cb5b8d9e76.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/5a7088b993ab6662ecdc4fcea545ca38.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/18e3bcfa8c81275a9e4471d2203cb1c7.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/0d86e29e0e0d086bf40dd0181314b524.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/ef498e5b2b4a89192062cf666f99899d.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20261009/fe7cce8ae51e078301c7f667c9b30da8.jpg)
Title: Re: Springboard springs to life…
Post by: NorthCoast on October 10, 2026, 01:35:35 AM
Awesome! Glad that you got this one up and running!
Title: Re: Springboard springs to life…
Post by: jessenator on October 10, 2026, 04:04:12 AM
Nice!

Quote from: greysun on October 09, 2026, 10:35:12 PMI wasn't (and am still not) convinced my leaf sockets are strong enough to hold that brick for the long haul, so i added some padding to the base to kind of hold it in there. I think the leaf sockets are brilliant, I just think mine are cheap lol.
Never tried socketing a Belton Brick before. I know some find it tacky (ha), but a bit of hot glue wouldn't go amiss in there, too.

Got any sound clips you'd be willing to share?
Title: Re: Springboard springs to life…
Post by: greysun on October 10, 2026, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: jessenator on October 10, 2026, 04:04:12 AMNever tried socketing a Belton Brick before. I know some find it tacky (ha), but a bit of hot glue wouldn't go amiss in there, too.

Got any sound clips you'd be willing to share?

Beautiful suggestion and already done - just a couple dabs in select spots to make me feel better about my life choices.

I did a very quick demo at my practice space at your request. First minute is hiss-y cause I was explaining what I was using through the iPad mic, but demo starts around 1min and uses a better mic - it's not totally thorough but gives the gist.

https://youtu.be/G6fZVm433W4?is=37XXnqQ45eKnBgBH

I only had a little shure mv-88 connected to my iPad for the demo part, but it did pretty okay. Some vibration in the video cause I just set it on a music stand to film the board.

The only thing that didn't come through was if you have the dry signal all the way down, the verb sounds really cool but is delayed from your actual strum, which could be weird live, but yea.

A lot of stuff is pretty DIY in this video - I 3D printed my pedalboard braces and used 2020 extrusion for the bars. 7 of the 11 "things" on the board were made by me. I made most of the patch cables and my guitar cable. I made and modified the guitar right down to the pots (changed the wafers for custom values, and it's a stereo guitar) and built the amp from a kit.

The pedals: tuner, meris polymoon (the white dual switch below it is just a program recall I made), MB husky boy (on the 90 degree, white, black knobs) MB blue steel (light blue, orange/white knobs, thin stripes), Rat clone (salmon, red knobs - 8 clipping modes and fat selection switch), octa psi (black, black knobs, striped decal covering branding), stereo/dual tremolo (silver, pink/gold knobs, striped decal), MB/VFE Springboard (dark purple, pink knobs), EHX 1440 looper. (The little single button guy in the upper right is a tap tempo for the tremolo).

I'm still learning what pedals work well for my sound at band-level volume, but these seem to be doing the trick.

I'll admit I know little to nothing about reverb, other than I like when it's there and my JTM does not have it. I had a rub-a-dub single knob reverb that I built long ago (1776, I think?) which is still cool but I wanted a little more control with this setup. So if anything seems out of sorts, let me know! lol - cause I wouldn't know otherwise!

Happy weekend folks!
Title: Re: Springboard springs to life…
Post by: jessenator on October 11, 2026, 01:21:46 AM
Quote from: greysun on October 10, 2026, 07:04:38 PMBeautiful suggestion and already done - just a couple dabs in select spots to make me feel better about my life choices.
Nice! I've built the EffectsLayouts Sonorous a while back, and I have yet to finish building AlephNull's Troglodyte.

It's handy to have some extra bit of that and stick it wherever you want in the signal chain.