News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Update: Finished my first build!

Started by Vice/President, November 07, 2013, 06:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice/President

A few days ago I posted a question on here to get some help understanding stereo jacks and received great responses very quickly.  Just wanted to let you guys know that I completed the pedal! It's the 10 Minute Dirt and Boost from Paul at diyguitarpedals.au.  I began watching his youtube series (username chromeshpere) a few months ago and was very inspired to try my hand at building.  I ordered the dirt and boost from him and got it in today, so I got to work on it as soon as I could.  It was a really easy build with easy to follow instructions.  I had a bit of  trouble with the offboard wiring, as well as using alligator clips to test it, but it all worked out fine.  (The inside of the enclosure is a complete rat's nest  :P) For the enclosure I used an electric box from Home Depot (I like the way it looks and liked how cheap it was, but I think I'll be using real enclosures in the future).  I'm going to post a sound review video soon because I was honestly blown away by the tone of this pedal.  Not to mention, it doesn't suck any tone from my signal and when it's engaged and there isn't any hum.  This isn't a sales pitch, just a recommendation to anyone else who may be wanting to get started but may be uncertain on where to begin.  A big thank you to all of you forum users at Madbean who I've learned so much from these past few months just by reading the information you share.  Cheers!

Vice/President

I should also add that the LED is the only thing that isn't working, I didn't realize I'd need a resistor to wire it up.

alanp

I did that with the diode on my first Dirtbag :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

ONE KNOB WILL RULE THEM ALL!

That thing looks awesome and mean. Step on it with pride.

chromesphere

Hey that's cool man!  Thanks so much for the kind words as well.  Really nice to know that my vids are helping people getting into this hobby.  Although I feel somewhat like a crack dealer :D
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

muddyfox

Quote from: chromesphere on November 07, 2013, 07:24:37 AM
Although I feel somewhat like a crack dealer :D

Is your income in any way comparable?  ;)

chromesphere

No, like a crack dealer, the profits go into more 'stock' :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jprizz

Muuwaaahaaahaaa! Yet another addict brought into the fold.
Congrats on your first pedal, I really like it's industrial look. Be very proud of that first build.

pickdropper

I really dig the look of your build.  Large knobs are great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Vice/President

Quote from: pickdropper on November 07, 2013, 01:22:31 PM
I really dig the look of your build.  Large knobs are great.

Thanks! I took the knob off of an old radio. You can't tell in the picture but it's actually not sitting on the pot just yet, I've gotta do a bit of reaming to get it to fit. 

Sibob

Yes looks great with the old radio knob, super retro feel! :)

Si

Vice/President

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! Can't wait to start my next build.   :D

evildead222

That looks awesome! I also started by watching paul's videos.  My first pedal was the 7 minute fuzz.  I worked on my guitars and soldered them but didn't even think about doing pedals until i watched that video.  Welcome to the hobby.  You will be addicted like a crack fiend.