News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Carl Martin AC Tone

Started by chip46, April 27, 2011, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip46

I would love seeing an AC Tone project show up. I know the differenes between it and the Plexi Tone are pretty minor in terms of layout and even parts values, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to pull off?

Got my Boneyard in the mail today and can't wait to put it together.  ;D

TheCobbenator

masterlk

So how does Brian/anyone else for that matter start a project like this? Like the previous Carl Martin project...the Plexitone...are there schematics for all the pedals on the planet somewhere just waiting to be copied/built by anyone? I assume there would have to be a schematic floating around for the AC Tone in order to make a copy, right? How does this work if circuits aren't usually patented, therefore schematics aren't redily available? I have the seen the KLONED project and I get how that was cop'd by reverse engineering it. I am probably revealing my newbieness but just curious.

Micpoc

Carl Martin AC-Tone (schematic inside): http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2117&hilit=carl+martin

I would love to see this project as well.

irmcdermott

Quote from: masterlk on April 27, 2011, 08:40:31 PM
So how does Brian/anyone else for that matter start a project like this? Like the previous Carl Martin project...the Plexitone...are there schematics for all the pedals on the planet somewhere just waiting to be copied/built by anyone? I assume there would have to be a schematic floating around for the AC Tone in order to make a copy, right? How does this work if circuits aren't usually patented, therefore schematics aren't redily available? I have the seen the KLONED project and I get how that was cop'd by reverse engineering it. I am probably revealing my newbieness but just curious.

You pretty much answered it. I'm working on a few layouts to put in the member's project section. When someone asks something, the first thing I do is head over to FSB first, and then DIYSB and see if I can at least find a schematic. From there, I load it into EAGLE and go for it. For older pedals I try and look to see what parts are obsolete and what might be a good substitute.

When a schematic isn't available, then you pretty much need buy it and reverse engineer it (either by yourself or with a group). Or find someone who has it and would be willing to let you pop it open and take a look. In a perfect world... if i had the funds, I'd probably buy one, reverse it, build it, play it only enough to compare to my build, then turn around and sell it on eBay or something and get a good portion of my money back.

sprayfe

IF i've read correctly, and that's up for debate, it's the same board as the plexi-tone with subbed parts.

masterlk

Wow, thanks Ian. Lots of work to bring a board to being fabbed or etched for the rest of us. Really cool that those that are capable share with the rest of us!

chip46

I've actually got the layouts and various schematics for the AC Tone, but at the moment I don't have the means of making my own boards. Plus, it's always nice to support a cool guy like Brian. :)

As far as the differences between the two, I know the clipping section uses transistors instead of LED's, and in general I think the parts count is a little higher on the AC, mostly added caps here and there. I'm on my phone or I'd look. Power has been out for the last few hours.  :(

bigmufffuzzwizz

Never heard of this one but I'm always for new projects!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sgmezei