News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris build issue (Low gain)

Started by outkastman, October 15, 2014, 12:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outkastman

Hi All,

My first Mad Bean build, but not my first DIY pedal (my fourth). What I've got is a Slow Loris board from January 2012. I'm just getting around to building it now, but there's been a few revisions since so I need a little help to get this one over the line.

My situation is that the pedal seems to work, all of my knobs do something when I turn them. The issue is that the gain is very minimal...and I mean barely even there. The LEDs on my board don't seem to light up at all, even with the gain full. You can hear the gain increasing as I turn the knob, but it's weak. It's strange when the gain is dialed all the way off, there's no volume through the circuit at all.

Can someone tell me where to start to debug this issue? Which voltages to check?

Thanks!

mgwhit

Please check out Jacob's recommendations in this Tech Help sticky thread.  He's got good tips on first level troubleshooting and posting voltages.

I obviously can't see the back of your board, but what I can see of your solder joints looks pretty rough.  The joints I can see look lumpy and grey rather than smooth and shiny.  Several of the larger wire and pot lug holes on your board don't show any solder flowed through, which would probably happen with a good joint on holes that size.  I'm guessing most of your joints could use touching up.  If you can use more heat with your iron, I would recommend it.  Good luck!

mgwhit

Oh, and do you have pads 1 & 2 jumpered on your clipping switch?  It looks like you have one of those plastic standoffs wedged in there, but I can't see a jumper.  If you don't have the switch pads wired up (either for a switch or hardwired to one position) you're not gonna get diode clipping.

outkastman

Gents. I'm all good. Totally forgot about the switch. I know...wow.

Anyway...sounds great! Thanks!

mgwhit

Cool.  Glad that was it.  Much easier than debugging solder joints....  Have fun!