News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Irwin Unibit #1

Started by martincactus, January 25, 2016, 10:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martincactus

Hi,

I am thinking about buyint the Irwin unibit #1. Who uses that here?  Can I do all or most of the hole on a pedal with this bit?

Thank you!

davent

I use one of those but i start holes with a 1/16" bit, then a 3/32" then a 1/8" and then the Unibit. Big enough for jacks and stomp switches but even with 1/32" steps i still make use of a tapered reamer .

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

I've used the Irwin unibit 1 on pretty much every pedal I've ever built. It will cover all the bases, including switching DC jack. I center punch first and generally drill a small pilot hole. I think about 3/32". I find the bit follows true after that.

davent

Yes- center punching is absolutely essential! Otherwise the bit will start where it wants, not good.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

I know Irwin has a decent rep, but I've had 3 of them and they all had problems.  2 of them had an unusable amount of wobble.  Frankly, the harbor freight cheapie bits were better centered.

I highly recommend the Klein unibits.  Much better quality.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

If you can get the scratch together, a set of GOOD drill bits (from 1 to 13mm in 0.5mm steps) is a very useful thing to have. I use my grandfather's old set that Dad inherited.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Drew Hallenbeck

I just recently started using a similar one from Milwaukee.
Center punching and pilot drilling the holes first, haven't had any issues. I've used it on about a dozen boxes so far.
The only thing that sucks (a little) is the length of the bit prevents it from being able to drill the hole for the stomp switch. The drill bottoms out on the work bench/back cover. (I like to do the drilling with the cover on to catch most of the shavings in the enclosure)
I just drill it as far as I can with the step bit then change to the right size drill for the rest. Not a big deal and it definitely saves a lot of time over changing through multiple drill bits.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

davent

Drill a hole in the workbench so the drill has someplace to go. Use the hole when filing/reaming a hole. A workbench bench comes in handy.

Pot/jack/plug holder for soldering.

miter53

The Irwin Unibit is way overpriced IMO. I've had great results with this
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-10193A-Titanium-Drill-3-Piece/dp/B001OEPYWK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453833878&sr=8-4&keywords=step+bit
with the 1/8-1/2 by 32nds being used 90% of the time.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

kgull

Quote from: miter53 on January 26, 2016, 06:48:12 PM
The Irwin Unibit is way overpriced IMO. I've had great results with this
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-10193A-Titanium-Drill-3-Piece/dp/B001OEPYWK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453833878&sr=8-4&keywords=step+bit
with the 1/8-1/2 by 32nds being used 90% of the time.
Seconded on the Neiko bits. Inexpensive and decent quality.

pickdropper

No experience with the Neiko bits, but stay far away from their digital calipers.

/end thread derail
Function f(x)

Leevibe

I don't see skimping on a bit that I will drill thousands of holes with over the course of years. I was planning to get a new Irwin, as mine is finally showing signs of dulling, and it has developed a slight wobble. I like Klein stuff though. It looks like essentially the same price as the Irwin but with a 3/8" shank. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Dave.

Haberdasher

I've always used the $10 set from harbor freight.  Aluminum is pretty soft, so it's a pretty easy job even for econo bits.
The trick to making nice plumb holes is center punch, send a small bit through, and then just drill very slowly with the step bit.  And don't press down real hard with the drill, let the bit do the work.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

Use cutting oil. Stops the alloy binding to your bits, & preserves their tip sharpness

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on January 27, 2016, 04:47:16 AM
I don't see skimping on a bit that I will drill thousands of holes with over the course of years. I was planning to get a new Irwin, as mine is finally showing signs of dulling, and it has developed a slight wobble. I like Klein stuff though. It looks like essentially the same price as the Irwin but with a 3/8" shank. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Dave.

Let me know what think, Lee.  I've had really good luck with the Klein bits.

Alternatively, if you feel like spending more money, the Hougen mini hole cutters (they call them RotaCut) are simply the best thing I've used.  They have a spring loaded arbor that rides in the center punch hole.  Basically, if you locate the center punch correctly, it's going to drill where you want it.  I've barely touch the unibit since I got these.

http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheet-metal-hole-cutters/Rotacut-sheet-metal-hole-cutters.html
Function f(x)