News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rehousing classic Behringers

Started by LaceSensor, October 28, 2017, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

The past week or so spent rehousing these cheap  clones of veritable classics from the Boss back catalogue
VB-2 Vibrato (Behringer UV-300) and FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz (Behringer SF-300)

Both have been made true bypass, and the Fuzz has removed the boost mode, as I wouldnt ever use it.
Vibrato retains the rise function but loses the momentary activation mode, again by choice.

The big issue with these is removing the existing potentiometers and replacing them. I used 9mm pots for the Fuzz, with trimmer style for the Treble and Bass.
For the vibrato, I used 16mm with wired standoffs. The extra switch parallels C15 (47nF) with a 330nF cap to give a slower range to the LFO for real warped vinyl sounds.

Honestly it was a hell of a lot of work, but quite satisfying.
For the Vibrato, I hardwired it into the unlatch mode, but used a throw of the footswitch to replace the tactile switch, and retained the original illumination method from the PCB mount LED. For the Fuzz it was a case of finding the flip flop transistor with a bit of trial and error and jumpering it such that the pedal is always on.

If any one is attempting and needs details, just ask.

EBK

I have so much stuff in my rebuild/rebox pile right now.  It's nice to see someone doing this so I can use it as some inspiration.  Nice results.  :D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Adam_DIY

Leevibe

Really nice work here. I've done a couple rehouses and it is harder than it looks. Just keeping the traces intact when desoldering can be a nightmare, although it looks like the boards are decent. Lead free solder though, no? Ugh. Great job getting everything to fit. I really like the control layout too.

LaceSensor

Quote from: Leevibe on October 28, 2017, 03:01:48 PM
Really nice work here. I've done a couple rehouses and it is harder than it looks. Just keeping the traces intact when desoldering can be a nightmare, although it looks like the boards are decent. Lead free solder though, no? Ugh. Great job getting everything to fit. I really like the control layout too.

I found that I had to flow on some of my silver / lead solder to loosen things before desoldering.
But yes in general it was a nightmare, and I did rip up the input pad on the Vibrato - luckily it was easy to jumper to the 47nF input cap, the only through hole passive cap on the board  (!)

Much care is needed tbh.

peAk

LaceSensor

Quote from: EBK on October 28, 2017, 12:04:36 PM
I have so much stuff in my rebuild/rebox pile right now.  It's nice to see someone doing this so I can use it as some inspiration.  Nice results.  :D

cheers! Glad to inspire. Its WAY much harder than just building a pedal so I can understand your procrastination :)

Willybomb

culturejam

Wow, that's some damn fine work. Rehousing is so hard.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LaceSensor

Quote from: culturejam on October 30, 2017, 08:00:12 PM
Wow, that's some damn fine work. Rehousing is so hard.

Cheers dude. Labour of love. So much easier just building from a PCB.
I wouldnt do them for anyone else again in a hurry; inherent risk of destruction and how genuinely hard it is to pull off neatly.

You do however learn a lot. It was really illuminating (pun intended) finding the flip flop transistor, for instance.
You can see from the fuzz I had to dremel part of the pcb off as I drilled the case too low, lol.