News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CNC Laser Engraver Artwork

Started by claytushaywood, December 05, 2017, 07:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I just got some access to a laser engraver at my work.  I have no experience with it, but my boss does.  I was wondering where you all find artwork to etch with.  Is there a good art website or something I'm missing out on?  I see some amazing black and white artwork but I can't find a ton of it online.  Or are you all editing stuff in graphics software to be etchable?

i've found afew threads on laser etching enclosures but not a ton, maybe I'm missing out on some good discussions on this site?

m-Kresol

I usually just google "xyz black and white" or drawings. usually you get something in the related searches.. other than that you can convert colour images to B/W graphics with gimp or something similar. don't overdo it with the details...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

To add to what m-Kresol said..

Also,
Remember, never use other people artwork for production or sales. You can get your self in a heap of trouble. I only do this method when building for myself. If you are going to sell it then ask for permission to use the artwork or change is enough so it no longer resembles the original content (Even this can cause bad blood of course).
/warning

I usually use this method:

https://www.google.com/imghp
Search for face punch (as an example)
Then click on "tools" under the search box
Click on "Size" and select "Large"
Click on "Color" and select "Black and White"

Find gold like this:

and this

etc..

Try also looking at comic scans also. Be creative! I do everything in Photoshop since I never was good with vector art. So I try to work in 300-600 DPI so I can clean up edges for print.

Cody

oip

i've found pinterest is pretty good for grabbing artwork too

usually start by searching 'geometric line drawing pinterest', 'antique drawing pinterest' or similar and then following my nose from there

if you want ye olde style etching drawings a bunch of libraries and galleries have online collections