News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding a Voltage Sag?

Started by wesayso919, August 28, 2018, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesayso919

Hi. Newbie here. Id like to add a voltage sag to a few pedals starting with a wolfshirt. How would I go about this? Are there any schematics or pages with info dedicated to this?

Betty Wont

Quote from: wesayso919 on August 28, 2018, 05:22:55 PM
Hi. Newbie here. Id like to add a voltage sag to a few pedals starting with a wolfshirt. How would I go about this? Are there any schematics or pages with info dedicated to this?
You wire a pot as a variable resistor on your 9v+ before it goes into the board. 1k-100k should work, find the one that gives you the range you want. Some pedals wil just shut off if you starve them. Experiment!

gtr2

Remember if you daisy chain pedals this will affect all the pedals it's connected to.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Brach

The traditional way of doing this is to use a variable voltage regulator.  The LM319 will work at the cost of around 2.5V (meaning the input has to be over 2.5V of the input).  This would work if you are wanting a really low voltage for a pedal, or are powering the circuit with something larger than a 9V supply.  A better solution is to use a LDO (low drop out) adjustable voltage regulator.  I've used a LP2951 for this exact purpose in a pedal power supply.  This IC has a dropout voltage of around 350mV, if i remember correctly.  The datasheet has a formula you can use to determine the external parts for the range of voltage you want to pass.  The package i used was a surface mount device...I don't know if it comes in a TH package.   As always, when using these types of devices, mind the current draw of whatever you're powering.  The picture is a snapshot of my schematic of the regulator circuit.  I don't recall, off the top of my head what the output voltage range is programmed to be via external resistors.
Product designer for Zeppelin Design Labs
Connect with your music : Build your own gear!

wesayso919

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Hi  :)

Depending on the project and device there are several ways.

One would be the potentiometer method mentioned earlier in line with the power supply, in some fuzzes in the bias supply.

Using an IC is a good method if it is a higher power project.

Regards,
MJ
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com