News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster Hum....

Started by rodas807, December 04, 2011, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodas807

Hi, I just started on my PCB of the rangemaster got all the parts on the electric shop avalible nervy my home and start all the thing...I don't know the first thing from electronyc but a friend of mine is helping me out! at the end I end the project yesterday and try it today... sad for me... didn't work! :( so now what am I supose to do? where do I begin to check or try to find where the problem is?  ??? I just plug the instrument cables on the jacks and start make it a lot of noise and hum even whit the pedal off!? does that mean something?

dwstanford

Luckily this build has relatively few parts, so the problem should be easy to track down.  It sounds like either a wiring issue or a power issue so i would start by checking all the wiring to make sure it was connected correctly.  Also, make sure you are powering the board as positive ground.  Are you using a battery or are you using a charge pump to flip voltage?  If everything is correct there, check your transistor pinout and recheck all your part values and your solder joints for any bad connections.  Feel free to post pictures and we can take a look with you.

rodas807

Ok, thanks for the info... I will be uploading some pictures in the afternoon! and by the way I'm powering the pedal with a 9V baterry!

jkokura

If it hums with the pedal off, I would suspect your jacks have not been grounded properly. The ground lugs of each jack need to be connected to each other, as well as to the ground pad on the PCB and the ground lugs on the switch.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rodas807

Well the way I did all the wiring was just like the description on the rangemaste manual! is there any other wiring missing on the manual or that I should do? ???

dwstanford

Make sure each jack is grounded.  If you used enclosed jacks or if the grounded jack isnt making a solid connection to the case, you will need to connect a ground wire the sleeve connection of the ungrounded jack as well.  This may not be your problem, but it is a common mistake and fits the symptoms you described.  If you could post a pic, i could tell you right away if thats whats going on.

rodas807

these are the pics! help please!

rodas807

rodas807

rodas807

jkokura

The 2nd picture shows that I was correct. The ground lug of your jacks need to be connected to each other and the PCB grounds.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

dwstanford

Yeah that connection would normally be made by the case, and thats why its not in the diagram. 

rodas807

well... I kind of solve the last problem where all I can hear was Hum... but now I have a new one  >:( when the pedal it's off the signal go trhu but when it's on it mute the signal and I can hear anything!... what am I supose to do now! where do I start to check where the problem is!?  ??? Hoooo and BTW I coldn't find the OC44 so the guy in the electronic store gave me a A144... maybe this is the problem or is this transirto equivalent right? thanks!

jkokura

Probably, the transistor is your problem. Unless it's a PNP general purpose transistor it won't work correctly. I couldn't find the datasheet on your transistor, so I would start there.

There's also a great thread called "rules for getting tech help" that you should read. Lots of good tips on how to debug a project that isn't working correctly. Check it out.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

rodas807

thanks for the response! I will check this! maybe at the end I will get one (a lot really) from Small Bear! :D