News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Completed Aquaboy!

Started by rhcp311, February 26, 2011, 01:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhcp311

USPS took their sweet time getting me my last batch of parts, but I got my Aquaboy finished this afternoon. Any idea how frustrating it is to have to wait almost two weeks for an IC socket though? I was not pleased! Haha. I got it biased as good as I'm going to be able to do without a scope, and it sounds great. Sounds very similar to my old DM-2, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm pleased. I would've liked a bit more delay time, but my DM-2 had the same problem, so I can't complain at all. This thing is definitely a keeper.

Here are the guts:

The enclosure looks lame right now since all my painting supplies are in Illinois. Here it is bare:

I'm eventually going to give it a blue sparkle paint job though so it'll match my Super Sonic.

madbean

Dude, nice build and good for you for thinking out of the box on how you placed it.

Also, shit, don't wait two weeks for a socket. PM me! I have everything...:)

jkokura

Nice! Can't wait to see the paint job.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rhcp311

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2011, 02:32:26 AM
Dude, nice build and good for you for thinking out of the box on how you placed it.

Also, shit, don't wait two weeks for a socket. PM me! I have everything...:)

Thanks a lot! I didn't even really think I was doing anything out of the ordinary. I just saw I had a lot of free space, width-wise, so I figured I may as well use it instead of stacking on top of the pots. Haha.

Haha thanks for the offer about the socket, but I had no clue it would take two weeks. I placed my order on the 14th, and they had it shipped out on the 17th, and I never would've guessed it would take 8 days through Priority Mail, and the Radioshack near me doesn't sell sockets (odd, I know), but it's all behind me now. Sockets are here, Aqua Boy is finished, and I got my Klon working again. (I accidentally dropped my Klon clone I built, and the footswitch snapped in half haha.)

Quote from: jkokura on February 26, 2011, 03:23:33 AM
Nice! Can't wait to see the paint job.

Jacob

Thanks! I actually got sick of looking at the bare metal enclosure. Sharpies can do wonders! Haha.

k.rock!

:D haha love it man! good job!
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

Beerdog80

Nice work.  Good, clean wiring.

rhcp311

madbean

I definitely like the Sharpie!

Now, if you get bored of that some time, crumple up a little aluminum foil, douse with Acetone and start spotting the Sharpie ink. It will melt away the ink lines and make it look like a translucent finish.

rhcp311

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2011, 07:26:19 PM

Now, if you get bored of that some time, crumple up a little aluminum foil, douse with Acetone and start spotting the Sharpie ink. It will melt away the ink lines and make it look like a translucent finish.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have any Acetone with me, and I'll be able to paint this thing within a week or two, so it doesn't seem worth it to go buy some. I'll definitely remember that if I decided to do a sharpie finished enclosure in the future. Thanks!

reddo

Brian,

Do you have a picture of how this would look?
If not, I may have to try it and post some pictures. It sounds like a cool look.

Tom

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2011, 07:26:19 PM

bigmufffuzzwizz

great build!! Definitely something i would like to build in the future!
Do you own any analog delay pedals you could make some comparisons to?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

rhcp311

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 05, 2011, 02:45:11 AM
great build!! Definitely something i would like to build in the future!
Do you own any analog delay pedals you could make some comparisons to?

Thanks a lot! At the moment I actually do not own any other analog delays, but I have owned a LOT of them in the past. The two pedals I've owned that it sounds the most similar to though are the Aqua Puss reissue and the Boss DM-2. Shocking that it sounds like the pedals it's supposed to sound like, I know. Haha. It really does a good job of simulating them though. I was never happy with the Aqua Puss reissue though, since I got a ton of clock noise from it, and the delay time seemed shorter than 330ms even. This build sounds a bit darker than that, like my old DM-2 (my favorite delay pedal ever), but there is still some clock noise on the longer delay settings. Also the repeats do sound a bit more "crisp" than they did on the DM-2. I guess you could say they're darker sounding than a normal delay, but they're less muddy than the DM-2. I have a PCB on the way so that I can do the dual delay time mod. I just need to wait for that and another MN3007 in the mail, and hopefully I can get this bad boy working at 600ms!

gtr2

What are you using the mn3007 for?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for the great review.
I'm excited to build one for my own.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

rhcp311

Quote from: gtr2 on March 11, 2011, 03:50:57 PM
What are you using the mn3007 for?

Sorry. Confusing my builds. I have an MN3007 in the mail for the Pork Barrel I'm planning on building. I meant another v3205. Sorry!