News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I wish I knew this when I was first starting...

Started by junkemail86, June 10, 2013, 02:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

SIP sockets. Even today I sometimes forget to use them on components that may need tinkering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

billstein

Quote from: drezdn on June 12, 2013, 12:40:12 PM
I need to put something on my testing rig like "are all the socket-ed components in? Did you check? Really? Check again. Are they all in?"

Then line 2: Is the cable plugged into the effect AND the guitar? Is the guitars volume up? Is the cable from the guitar plugged into the out jack of the effect?

I swear, almost every build I do something so stupid. I'm wasting a lot of panic over nothing.

jkokura

I totally did that with a build last week. One of the recently released designs didn't fire up with my 'rock before box' rig. So I hook it up to my debugging rig, and I begin to go through the circuit with my audio probe. I spent maybe 20 minutes tracing the signal, stopping at this transistor. Again and again.

Flip the board over and look... no tranny in the socket.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

yup, I still do the empty socket thing after a lot of building too...  :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimilee

Quote from: gtr2 on June 12, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
yup, I still do the empty socket thing after a lot of building too...  :D
I was feeling pretty cocky tonight because I remembered the ic's, and forgot to hookup my guitar. Dammit!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I did that with the No Name Flange.

Now THERE is a build where you think "Thank Gawd that THAT was the problem, and not ANYTHING else..."
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mysticaxe

Did I wire the jacks right?  I've done that a couple times - wire the input jack to the stomp switch output and vice versa...