News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pink Robot Fuzz (Yoshimi)

Started by televisiondown, January 22, 2014, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

televisiondown

This a GuitarPCB Mastodon (Woolly Mammoth clone) I built for my wife to use on bass. The footswitch mounted board is a pretty cool thing. It made for a very easy build in my first move from 125B to 1590B. I used a bare enclosure and sprayed it with some Krylon Posh Pink Glitter Blast from Michael's followed by about 5 coats of PlastiKote 1000 Clear Coat. Stamp is also from Michael's with Stazon Ink. LED is a 5mm pink diffused from Mammoth Electronics, because why not more pink?

I've never played an original WM before, but I had read it's supposed to be an excellent choice for bass. Once I finished the board and tested it, I was pretty sure my wife would love it. Lots of fuzzy sustain or splatty, gated, torn speaker, fat fuzz! Sounds huge with guitar, too. This one would have been hard to get rid of if I wasn't so proud of how it turned out.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

televisiondown

Cortexturizer

You have a wife that plays bass? Man, you are living a dream. Such envy. So bassy. Much awesome. Wow.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

televisiondown

Yeah, she learned bass about 2 years ago! The first thing she played with this pedal was L7's "Pretend we're dead". I'll have to get a demo of it going.

diablochris6

Looks great!  You can't have too much pink.  But shouldn't Yoshimi be fighting the pink robots?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Bret608

Well, either way, I'm pretty much always going to be okay with a pedal that has a Flaming Lips reference! I hope she likes it. I'm thinking she did if the first thing she rocked was an L7 song.

televisiondown

Haha...the pink spray paint and the robot made me think of Yoshimi. Not a literal depiction of any sort of battle :D Thanks for the comments!

midwayfair

Cool build, and a really nice finish. What are the knobs? They look a little like the boss, but without the skirt.

selfdestroyer

Great build. One of my favorite things to do is paint really brutal sounding pedals more "feminine" colors. Like I have a pink Megalith and a powder blue Fuzz Factory. I get a lot of "Awwwe look at that pedal" then BAM!, they shut their mouths when it clicks on. haha

I have yet to build a Wooly but I have heard great things. Thanks for the L7 memories.. time to see if my wife still has Hungry for Stink around the house. 

jimilee

Very nice! I do love mine also also. Put a rat in front of it and see how you (she) like it! Also a green russian sounds killer on bass too, as well as a klone and then for good measure, a BYOC bas OD, oh and a ginger and a bass super overdrive....I think that about covers it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

televisiondown

Thanks! The knobs are both boss style. The top 2 are skirted, the bottom 2 aren't. I'm pretty sure both types are from Mammoth Electronics.

Yeah, the pink glitter and little robot are VERY deceiving. This pedal is huge!

televisiondown

Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2014, 03:21:44 AM
Very nice! I do love mine also also. Put a rat in front of it and see how you (she) like it! Also a green russian sounds killer on bass too, as well as a klone and then for good measure, a BYOC bas OD, oh and a ginger and a bass super overdrive....I think that about covers it.

I like how the Rat sounds with bass. I'll have to try it with the WM. I'm a big fan of bass through a Red Llama with the gain below 50%.

jimilee

Quote from: televisiondown on January 23, 2014, 03:25:44 AM
Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2014, 03:21:44 AM

I like how the Rat sounds with bass. I'll have to try it with the WM. I'm a big fan of bass through a Red Llama with the gain below 50%.
Now I gotta add that to my list! Thanks for that.  :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.