News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Osmium (Dragon Armor/Tight Metal)

Started by wgc, March 28, 2014, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

This is a build using an smd PCB from chuckbuick based on the tight metal pedal.  He was kind enough to send me a prototype to check out.

And I gotta say, layouts don't get much better than this.  It was a breeze to solder, but didn't work at first. 
Turns out I soldered a diode in backwards.  Once it was turned around, it fired right up.

This is actually the second shot at powder coating this enclosure.  The first time around, the powdercoat came out great, but I had some laser issues. 
So, stripped it down and recoated.  Try to ignore the lint.  ;-)

Still waiting for better knobs to come in, but I wanted to get this posted before I leave for vacation tomorrow. 
(At least I didn't drop this one on the way into the house like a couple of others.)

Didn't screw the back in for the gut shot...

BTW, this is my first build report, but not my first pedal.  I have a few "phases" of building, and this one is part of phase four- smd pcb layouts created by others.

This one is definitely a keeper!  More reports to come!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Govmnt_Lacky

DAMN you people and your LASERS!

... NICE BUILD THOUGH!!

jubal81

That's just brilliant. Really tidy soldering job. I'm super impressed.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Very nice soldering and smd layout. Tightly packed and looks great. So clean looking.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

wgc

Thanks guys, it was really a joy to solder it up, and it sounds great to boot.

As an aside, I've got a thru hole proto I ordered with jok3rx of the tight metal too, but haven't boxed it yet.  I used a different op amp on the thru hole and think I might try one or two others.  He's got other layouts he's working on and I'm sure they will be really cool.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

That really is an impressive layout! Wgc, you and Pickdropper are the ones who I always expect to see SMD work in your builds (was slightly surprised by your TS).
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Droogie

Great layout, and that's some SMD soldering on a level I aspire to!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

chuckbuick

Looks great, Billy.  Diggin the etch.

hoodoo

Yeah, lovin' this one, and the others you've posted today, laser etching/SMD seem to be the way to go, always look super neat  and pro looking to me, all the best, Matt.

peAk

pickdropper

You got another winner here, Billy.  It looks great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper