News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

which pad for power on new Road Rage to hook to Pasty Face?

Started by dont-tase-me-bro, May 11, 2014, 02:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

it's me again.  sorry to bother you all. 

I removed my road rage / connected 3pdt, and put in a 1776 3pdt board and a new switch.  I have perfect bypass, but zero effect

from the PCB, I wired everything as normal, in to in, ground to ground, power to power, out to out.

from the DC jack, I flipped the wiring.  Negative from the DC to the power pad (marked +), positive from the DC to the ground pad (marked -).

http://1776effects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/3pdt_wiring.pdf

I am using a positive tip 9v wall adapter i have for a moog pedal.  did I screw up by flipping the power wiring?

Thanks,
Pat
I thought this would save me money.

rullywowr

Yes. You flipped the wiring. Just wire up the 3pdt as normal (positive is positive etc). The charge pump takes care of making the voltage negative in the board itself.

Most guitar pedals are wired so the center pin is negative. I would highly recommend you get an adapter which has center pin negative just to keep everything the same.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

dont-tase-me-bro

Thank you.  Just to clarify, when you say charge pump, do you mean the moog plug which is positive?  I removed the road rage and put on a regular 1776 3pdt board.  This is the plug

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/accessories/moogerfooger-power-supply

So if I just flip the wiring back to normal, the plug takes care of the inversion, and all is good? 

Those 3pdt boards are pretty sweet, and are far noob friendlier than wiring the switch the traditional way

rullywowr

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on May 13, 2014, 01:45:03 AM
Thank you.  Just to clarify, when you say charge pump, do you mean the moog plug which is positive?  I removed the road rage and put on a regular 1776 3pdt board.  This is the plug

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/accessories/moogerfooger-power-supply

So if I just flip the wiring back to normal, the plug takes care of the inversion, and all is good? 

Those 3pdt boards are pretty sweet, and are far noob friendlier than wiring the switch the traditional way

Glad to help. :)

A "charge pump" is a microchip-looking package (usually a DIP8 which looks like a common TL072) and can either change a positive voltage to negative (+9v to -9v) and/or upconvert a voltage to almost double (ie: +9V to about +17v).  Common charge pumps are the TC1044SCPA, LT1054, ICL7660, MAX1044.   

For a positive ground effect the charge pump is useful as it isolates the power supply from your other pedals, while sharing a common ground.  The Pastyface has a built in charge pump so it takes care of this for you.  If you were building a board which was "postive ground" and didn't have a charge pump, you would use a RoadRage or similar circuit (which has the charge pump and circuit built in it) or power the effect by a 9V battery.  Common positive circuits are some PNP Fuzzes and Rangemasters.  They are not that common but do exist.

Other times, charge pumps are used to run a circuit at +18v from a +9V source (provided the components are rated for this voltage).  Running at a higher voltage can increase headroom and lend a different (usually more cleaner) sound to a circuit.  You have to be sure your caps and ICs are rated for the +18v...if you use a 16v rated cap and feed it more than that...you may hear a "pop" and the magic white smoke will be let out of the component.

Your Moog power adapter indeed will "work" however, most pedal effects have a "center-pin negative" DC jack.  While you can wire your pedal up to be compatible with the Moog, if you plugged that Moog adapter into any Boss or Ibanez (or most common guitar pedals) you run the risk of blowing something up (either the protection diode in the pedal if it has one or the adapter itself). 

It would be my suggestion to get a proper power supply (such as the Visual Sound One-Spot) or any other Boss/Ibanez +9V power adapter just to be on the safe side as I imagine you are going to build/amass more pedals as you are hooked now  ;D.  Plus if you lend a pedal to someone else, or borrow one, you will have the correct (more common) power supply.  The One-Spot is a great choice, especially with the daisy-chain cable which is capable of powering numerous effects. 

If you want something nicer (and much more expensive) the Fuel Tank Jr. or Pedal Power have isolated regulated outputs.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

dont-tase-me-bro

the road rage is definitely definitely being used on the bumble bee.  I rewired the power to the normal terminals on the 1776.  i get perfect bypass, and now instead of no effect, I get a low hum.  I think I might just pull the transistors and start from scratch.  I used the moog wall adapter so that should be good I think.

here's another dumb one - on the pasty pace pcb, where it says -9v and G, the power goes to the -9v pad?

dont-tase-me-bro

Plugged it into this with a positive polarity cable. This already has a mix of pos and neg connected and has always worked

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc403-power-system

Get bypass, no effect, no hum now with effect engaged

Maybe I'll yank the bumble bee's road rage, and go for switch number 3