News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounted Pots vs Wired Pots....

Started by peAk, April 24, 2014, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

RobA

One of the reasons I don't like board mounted pots is that pretty much determines the enclosure for you. The only pedal I've built and actually used the board mounted pots is the Current Lover and I wish I hadn't on that one because I'd prefer to put it in a bigger box. I still love the pedal and it's one of my favorites, but I'll probably end up doing it again sometime so that I can stick it into a bigger or multi-enclosure.

But, I can also see the point in using board mounted parts. I hate wiring DPDT or bigger switches, so I'd almost always prefer to do those on the PCB. It can also really help reduce noise in high gain settings. I just got back the proto boards for one and I've built one of them with jumper headers so I could play with the parts easily and it's way more prone to noise than the version built with the board mounted parts. That should be less of an issue in the box, but it is still there. Another thing is when they just have too many components that would have to be wired. I've got another that I just got the PCB's back for that has seven knobs and three pots. I would really hate to have wire that without board mounted pots. When I was laying it out, I couldn't find a satisfactory way to place the connections on the edge that wouldn't have been a jumble of crossing leads and a total mess to wire. I think that one pretty much had to be done as board mounted. A downside is it is pretty much stuck with the pots and switches I chose for it (9mm type) and I think that's kinda bad too. I did go with putting the pots either on the top edge or close to the side edges so that it would be reasonable to off board wire those (the 9mm pots really help with this), but the toggles are in the middle of the board and they would be more of a pain to take off board.

So, I don't know, I see tradeoffs with each and I'm not really sure which I really prefer yet.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jkokura

I haven't said my piece yet, I was waiting and thinking.

I think it's pretty obvious that I prefer Board Mount Pots. It's how my PCBs are all designed, and further, pretty much all of them follow a specific template in terms of drilling and mounting those pots on an enclosure. I do this for the following reasons:
1. Makes it easier on the average builder. Yes, some people prefer non-mounted pots, but there is no denying how much easier soldering in PCB mount pots is. It both provides a stable mount for the PCB into the enclosure, and means less of those tiny, finicky wires.
2. It's easier to do a PCB with mounted pots and then allow someone to not use PCB mount pots, than it is to use non-PCB mount pads for the pots and then have someone try and use PCB mount pots. In other (more simple) words, using PCB mount pots in the PCB design allows for both crowds to use the PCB. The other way means someone's being left out.
3. There are some builds it's just a no brainer to do it this way. For instance, the Testing Rig, which utilizes 4 switches as well as two pots, or the Hamlet+ that's 6 pots and a SPDT, and the upcoming Stone Cold Phaser which will utilize 4 pots and AND 4 switches (one of which is a 3PDT). That much wiring is a pain, and there's no way you could use the enclosures effectively without Board mounting everything.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

I love the simplicity of PCB mount pots and will use them if their location fits where I want the controls to go.

If I want a different layout, I just wire them off-board; problem solved.  With some things.

If I am doing a board layout for 1590a, I don't bother with board mount pots as I can't use them.  I'd rather save the board real estate.  On anything larger than that, I nearly always put board mount pots.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pietro_moog

i don't consider building stuff without board mounted pots anymore. i wanna save time for myself, not waste it wiring stuff i don't need. 

rullywowr

Board mount pots are the shiznit!  They take care of mounting the PCB and simplify off board wiring.  If the pot layout doesn't work for you, you can always mount one of the pots and wire the rest (as previously mentioned). Once I tried mounted pots, I never looked back.  All of my layouts use board mounted pots and I am very happy with them. I am moving forward to board mounting everything.,,which reduces build time and increases reliability if done right.  If one is on the fence about board mounted pots, you can always roll your own by making your own layout.   Certain layouts require off board pots/controls but the vast  majority is all board mounted.  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

TNblueshawk

I guess I'll be the lone straggler here. I've built close to 60+ pedals. The only board mounted pots I did were from the BYOC kits since the enclosure came with it I paid for it predrilled. Otherwise the reason is I like a different layout on the pedal for the knobs. Nothing more nothing less. Is it worth the extra time? Yep, for me. I build mostly for myself so I don't mind. I like the artistic freedom that scratches that itch for me.

Having said that I will say building two of these Magnus Modulus's, sold one, was a total PITA  :o   Can't find my gut pic but you can imagine....

John

twin1965

I really dislike wires! I'll happily avoid wiring pots and switches. I still use vero so that's an exception but I normally only use vero for very basic circuits. If I want a slightly different pot layout then I'll use wires too. But I rarely do this. Now that I'm addicted to Eagle Cad I'm making my own layouts anyway so I can have any pot/switch arrangement I like. I recently made a PCB design for the WEM Project V with board mounted pots and switches. I wanted to make one but only a vero was available. All the wiring that had to be done, really put me off! Everyone has their preferences and looking at some of the builds here, there are some people who have this down to an art.

peAk

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 25, 2014, 06:07:02 PM
I guess I'll be the lone straggler here. I've built close to 60+ pedals. The only board mounted pots I did were from the BYOC kits since the enclosure came with it I paid for it predrilled. Otherwise the reason is I like a different layout on the pedal for the knobs. Nothing more nothing less. Is it worth the extra time? Yep, for me. I build mostly for myself so I don't mind. I like the artistic freedom that scratches that itch for me.

Having said that I will say building two of these Magnus Modulus's, sold one, was a total PITA  :o   Can't find my gut pic but you can imagine....

Holy Shit that is badass!

alanp

Well... Muffs are one thing, with only 3 3-wire offboard connections, but past that, you really need to either bring your Juan-game wiring, or use board mounted.

Especially when you're dealing with rotaries. 15 wires per switch! Have fun, kids! Don't get any wrong!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

You can have board mount and your own knob layout ;) Just takes a bit of creativity with solid core....
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

I roll my own boards and and looking at the use of board mounted pots its with commercial boards having plated through holes so its a simple matter to bottom mount the pots, switches, whatever and then solder from the topside. Without plated through holes you can't bottom mount the usually-used rotary switches, toggle switches and looking at many layouts you'd be hard pressed to get an iron to all the pot pads with the way things are layed out.

You're left with having to top-of-board mount the pots and switches so they can be soldered to the bottom of the board which leads to all kinds of wasted board and large boards because you can't have other components in the space now needed for the bodies of those  now board mounted controls.

My builds are usually pretty simple so no big deal for off board wiring, have done a Skyripper which is seven pots, one of those stereo, three toggles, two 3pdt stomps, two LEDs and an Fx loop, did board mount the LED's, secured the board with standoffs. No problems with wiring it all up, went together without any issues.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?