Cave Dweller... really dark (yes, I know it's supposed to be dark, but...)

Started by madboy, April 18, 2014, 02:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madboy

Hey all. As stated previously, it sounds as though I am losing a fair amount of treble. I have read that the repeats are often fairly dark, but with any sort of overdrive or distortion, it is very muffled. I have tried reducing C3, and even R1 to 680k, but to no avail. With all the controls down, even the straight signal sounds muffled. I appear to have misplaced my circuit tracer (I will make a new one in the morning) but does anyone have any insight into possible reasons this might be? Aside from that, it works as it should. Thanks in advance for any advice...

ampbldr2

I have same exact problem - loss of high frequency response.

Is there anybody that has a solution?

alanp

I suspect if you want a less coloured delay (with PT2399), you'll need to go to the Sea Urchin.

The Dweller doesn't have any dedicated opamps as most circuits would -- the delay chip pulls double duty for it, and resultingly colours it a bit.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

It's the nature of the beast. Reducing C3 will brighten up the dry through signal but only so much. Beyond a certain point it will just add noise. You can also reduce C6 to 10n for a somewhat brighter delay, too. Fidelity is really not what the Cave Dweller is about, I'm sorry to say...it's meant to be a moody and simple delay.

Not that it helps now, but I am working on version 2 of the Cave Dweller which will have higher fidelity and little or no coloration of the dry through signal.