News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish

Started by Mike, January 28, 2015, 05:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogharry

A truly meaningful etch for a great build.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

rsampaio

Awesome build man! I would love to know where you got those LED covers though, I've been trying to find them but I don't know what to call it.

Luke51411

Quote from: rsampaio on January 29, 2015, 12:36:28 PM
Awesome build man! I would love to know where you got those LED covers though, I've been trying to find them but I don't know what to call it.
I think you can get those from Mklec. I've gotten similar ones from china on ebay as well.

thesameage

Quote from: Mike on January 29, 2015, 04:14:43 AM
OK, got to play it tonight on both guitar and bass. On guitar, it is everything you would expect. Since you asked about bass...

We used a Fender P Bass Jr, which is an MiM P bass in every way, but with a 29.6" scale. The amp was a Rumble 150 (I think, maybe it's a 100... it's big and loud). The most usable setting was LP, up, LO. In HP and BP, the signal was really thin. HP was particularly not good. BP had some effect, but I can't imagine it is usable without a clean blend. There were some interesting sounds to be had with the down option, but we both liked up much better. I couldn't find any usable sounds with the range set to HI, except in the LP mode.

Obviously, this is a sensitive effect that needs to be setup for each instrument. I think it is even more touchy with bass than with guitar. I built it for guitar, though, so I'm completely happy.

Mike

Good to know... puts my experiences with my older madbean mutron clone into perspective. I wanted it to be really fat and full on bass, but maybe that's just not what it does.

Betty Wont

Quote from: thesameage on January 29, 2015, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: Mike on January 29, 2015, 04:14:43 AM
OK, got to play it tonight on both guitar and bass. On guitar, it is everything you would expect. Since you asked about bass...

We used a Fender P Bass Jr, which is an MiM P bass in every way, but with a 29.6" scale. The amp was a Rumble 150 (I think, maybe it's a 100... it's big and loud). The most usable setting was LP, up, LO. In HP and BP, the signal was really thin. HP was particularly not good. BP had some effect, but I can't imagine it is usable without a clean blend. There were some interesting sounds to be had with the down option, but we both liked up much better. I couldn't find any usable sounds with the range set to HI, except in the LP mode.

Obviously, this is a sensitive effect that needs to be setup for each instrument. I think it is even more touchy with bass than with guitar. I built it for guitar, though, so I'm completely happy.

Mike

Good to know... puts my experiences with my older madbean mutron clone into perspective. I wanted it to be really fat and full on bass, but maybe that's just not what it does.
It really needs a clean blend for bass. Like the Meatball. Even in LP it can't get as fat like the Moog LPF.

Mike

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. :)

Here are the exact LED holders that I use:

5mm clear - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CLB300CTPvirtualkey59300000virtualkey593-3000C
3mm clear - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SMB200CTPvirtualkey59300000virtualkey593-2000C

I also like using these:

5mm GLO - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CLB300GLOvirtualkey59300000virtualkey593-3000GLO
5mm GLO (raised lens) - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CLF280GLOvirtualkey59300000virtualkey593-2800GLO

The 5mm ones are really nice and easy to use. They fit in a perfect 1/4" hole, so drilling is a snap. They are sealed from the top, so moisture can't seep in through the LED mount. The LEDs are held in place by friction, although you can buy retaining clips for extra security. The Fresnel lenses expand the viewing angle of the LED.

Here (assuming it loads) is one of my builds with a GLO lens, which are quite nice. They are translucent white, with a Fresnel lens under the top. The raised lens one has the best viewing angle out of any LED holder I've seen.

Mike
My pedal site: Just One More Build

nzCdog

sweet finishing dude, ultra clean guts too

rsampaio

Thank you for the reply on the bezel guys!