News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jellybelly Fuzz (Big Muff Op Amp)

Started by Timko, March 27, 2016, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

First, a story:

I have always been a big fan of the Smashing Pumpkins.  In 1995, I got a Christmas present from my parent to get a new CD, and I bought Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness because my local record store didn't have The Beatles Anthology 1. This ended up becoming the soundtrack of my teenage years, along with Siamese Dream, Gish, and Adore.  The shear amount of music that Corgan and Co released made collecting and listening to it quite a chore, but their loud than soft then loud dynamic was an eye opening experience for me that greatly affected the music I listen to this day.  Ok, end of the story :).

I've been working bit by bit on a big Sagan Delay build, and working on some smaller builds in between.  I had finished the circuit sometime last month, but I finally got it boxed up over the weekend.  It's a guitarpcb board that went together easily.  The pedal name and font are a definitive Pumpkins nod.  The 2 graphics are from a font that was made for all the little graphics inside the lyrics book of Mellon Collie (bonus points if you can identify them; they're both heavy fuzz songs).  Someone had written on this forum that this pedal sounds like a hive of bees, and I can't help but agree.  Turned up to the Pumpkins settings (volume around 12 or 1, tone around 1, sustain dimed) into a clean amp gives that compressed jet engine sound. I also found fun to turn the sustain way down, and drive it with a fuzz face (that's the setting in the picture).

Orbis_Ignis

Mojo Fandangle

Looks great. Cool idea for the graphics.
'Hive of Bees' is pretty accurate. That's what's cool about the IC Fuzz. It's gnarlier than other Muffs I've played.

Siamese Dream was definitely one of my faves as a teenager. I remember getting my parents to buy it for me for christmas, and I secretly kept unwrapping it and playing it before xmas, than wrapping it back up and putting it back under the tree.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

Martan

Love it! And the Siamese Dream sound. Want to build a biphase eventually

Timko

Quote from: Martan on March 28, 2016, 12:58:25 AM
Love it! And the Siamese Dream sound. Want to build a biphase eventually

Yes!  This one is on my list too.

"We run everything through it. Everything."
- Butch Vig on the use of the Biphase and Siamese Dream (The Search for the Yeti)

jtaormina

Love me some so mashing pumpkins. Gish is my fav.

gül

Quote from: jtaormina on March 28, 2016, 01:47:41 AM

Gish and Lull, OMG... I was lucky enough to get to see SP live when they were supporting Gish. Def one of my top ten bands.

beneharris

I love Smashing Pumpkins. They were the first real rock band I ever got into. Sophomore year of highschool our marching band did our show of their music. It was awesome.

EBRAddict

Quote from: aishabag on March 28, 2016, 04:01:03 PM
Quote from: jtaormina on March 28, 2016, 01:47:41 AM

Gish and Lull, OMG... I was lucky enough to get to see SP live when they were supporting Gish. Def one of my top ten bands.

The first time I saw them play was in a 2nd floor restaurant in Champaign, IL a year or more before Gish came out. There were about 20 people in the audience but they still put on a great show.

I remember thinking how "tame" Gish sounded compared to their promo tape, though. I lent my promo tapes and CD to our drummer at the time and I never saw him again after that.  >:(

Lubdar

(1) Where boys fear to tread, and (2) an ode to no one. Heh much of my early teens were listening to this album, i put it on the other week and basked in it...
(--c^.^)--c