News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Control Freak

Started by Marshall Arts, May 08, 2016, 10:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

I had assumed you could define the value of each pot in program. But then I have not really read the datasheet  :P

drolo

Coda-effects

By seeing this I am just wondering: did anyone used a digipot for tremolo applications instead of a LDR? (which are crazy expensive, just spent 10 euros for a simple VTL5C1)

Maybe it is harder to get square waves ? (is the digipot fast enough?)

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Coda-effects on May 25, 2016, 07:23:36 AM
By seeing this I am just wondering: did anyone used a digipot for tremolo applications instead of a LDR? (which are crazy expensive, just spent 10 euros for a simple VTL5C1)

Maybe it is harder to get square waves ? (is the digipot fast enough?)

Tried it with a triangle wave, works! No glitches, no zipper sound, no steps whatsoever. I agree with the ridiculous prices vor VTLs, I paid 15 € for two VTLs just to test this (and to find out, that it is really hard to realize...).

Marshall Arts

Quote from: drolo on May 24, 2016, 06:51:01 AM
yep
http://missionengineering.com/?product=expressionator-2
a bit on the expensive side but it's a cool device
Had a good night sleep over this and think that I would miss some more aspects in that approach:

• I would like to be able to bypass a device (e.g. a Wah), when the respective channel is not chosen (ideally this behaviour is configurable in presets). This would be my normal use scenario to only use one device at a time and step through them (volume-vibe-wah-volume-vibe...) and have the others taken out of the fx loop. For the fancy stuff (stuck-wah-volume-swell), choose another preset.
  • Know Morley wahs? You dont have a switch on them, they just turn on when you move the pedal. It always returns to the heel position though, so you cannot have a "stuck wah" with them (unless you stay on the pedal...). With a microcontroller, I could get the best of both worlds, e.g. switch off the wah, if the pedall has been in the heel position for more than 2 seconds. Change to a "staircase taper", when the pedal has been in the toe position for more than one second. Or have a preferred stuck wah sound on heel or toe position... endless possibilities!

Marshall Arts

Findings from tonight: Hooked up a foot pedal (10k lin) and controlled a 100k digipot (lin) with it. I calculated the output resistance of the digipot to work as a log taper. The digipot was used as a volume control straight between guitar and amp.

Good news: Even though there is some taper calculation involved, it's mighty fast. I don't sense latency. This gives hope!
Bad news: On fast moves, I hear (very little) steps. Actually, not even steps, more like static. Not sure if it is a lack of resolution or a general architectural issue (make-before-break or break-before-make). If the latter, we are out of luck. If the first, we can increase the resolution sufficiently with three digital pots (see article above). I will find out latest over the weekend...

Marshall Arts

Meanwhile: More Crazy Stuff (vca controlled wah), look at the options: Software, Presets, 30 Pages a Manual... FOR A WAH!!!! https://www.prostage.eu/free_download/manuals_audio/RemoteWahWah_Users_Manual.pdf

Marshall Arts

So, I've build a 16 bit pot with three (8 bit) digital pots. It works for tremolo and for manual/pedal control. I would like to increase the resolution of the manual/pedal reading to at least 14 bit (the arduino nano has only 10 bit) - probably by oversampling (more latency) or by an external ADC (more components).

My biggest problem currently is hiss/noise in the breadboard setup: Most annoying is a high beep (most likely coming from arduinos clock signal). I buffered all the digital pots with 100n and terminated the end of the clock line with 10k. The sound is dependant on the jumper wires position (so, if I move them, it gets better or worse). Any ideas how to fight this problem?