News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Twin Peaks TremElo (6 months in the making)

Started by neandrewthal, September 26, 2016, 03:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neandrewthal

Super stoked to have this done today. It's the first pedal I ever started building but it took me forever to finish it with figuring out what mods I want, how to implement them, figuring out how to paint it and actually doing it etc, having crazy pops due to stupid LEDs etc... Every possible thing proceeded inefficiently and had been somewhat of an obsession and a massive time sink.

Mad props to David and Tom the Electric Druid for answering all my questions. Extra feature are:
Sync input jack (The one right beside the tap switch)
CV input (switchable between Rate and Depth)
Utility Output (switchable between LFO and clock, sort of like the Tapanatorator, IMO you can't have one of these LFOs in a box and only use it for one effect)

I'm planning on eventually having a whole series of modulation effects that can all talk to each other. Another little quirk is I will never sandwich 2 boards and hardwire them together. Never. I can't. The plastic washers in the back are because I couldn't fit those 2 jacks in where I drilled them so I had to drill out the holes super huge.

The coffee cup knob is made out of clay built around a little soft touch knob that I ripped all the rubber off of. It won't spill when you turn it over ;)

Finally I decided to document the ridiculous process of doing the paint job but it's too much for this build report so I made a "tutorial".

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=23846.0

dbp512

Thats stunning: absolutely great job. I'm still trying to finish up a pair of them, but its incredibly slow going and I have no time between all my classes. I need to solder the rotary off-board, flash the lfo, and debug what will inevitably go wrong. Of course I'm not filling it with all the mods, so that should make it slightly easier.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

drolo

Oy, that's more crowded than a subway train in Tokyo during rush hour !
I'm impressed with all the options you added, and the cup!!

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

darrenw6000

dbp512

Quote from: darrenw6000 on September 26, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
Cool. Where's the pcb from

A forum member here, Drolo. He did a group buy around February. Also, another member delyk has a different layout (single board, no sandwich) on his shop.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

midwayfair

kaycee

Damn Fine Tremolo!

Excellent cramming and modding to an already complex build, well done there :)

neandrewthal

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: dbp512 on September 26, 2016, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: darrenw6000 on September 26, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
Cool. Where's the pcb from

A forum member here, Drolo. He did a group buy around February. Also, another member delyk has a different layout (single board, no sandwich) on his shop.

I found this by googling for a tremolo project to build because I never had a tremolo pedal and wanted the best one I could build. I emailed David about it and lucked out that he had some boards for the groupbuy and he told me about this forum too  :)

I like the portrait orientation of this one even if it means you need a double board. I had to move up to a thicker enclosure to fit the connectors because I insist on the boards being separable, but that's okay. It gave me room for the extra jacks and I liked the 1.547" thick enclosure so much that I ordered 6 more for other projects.

Quote from: midwayfair on September 26, 2016, 01:50:14 PM
Quote from: neandrewthal on September 26, 2016, 03:57:08 AM
It's the first pedal I ever started building

:o

Don't worry. I've built umm... a "few" synth modules before. The novelty is just working inside of a box and the difficulty of making voltage mixers and buffers on a unipolar supply. I ended up going all passive for the circuitry required for the extra ins and outs. Might have to do some more tweaking because the LFO output has too much impedance for my Moodring modulation input and the range of the rate and depth are kind of messed up when I plug in my CV pedal.

jonnygreentrees

galaxiex

Nice!
The over all look makes me think of coffee and donuts.  :D
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

neandrewthal

Quote from: galaxiex on September 27, 2016, 12:23:20 PM
Nice!
The over all look makes me think of coffee and donuts.  :D

Thanks! I would have gone with Cherry Pie (the single board version spoken of earlier is even called cherry pie tremolo: http://pcb.delyk.com/modulation/52-cherry-pie-tremolo-pcb.html )

But donuts work too!

Bret608

I was just going to mention cherry pie!  :)  I loved Twin Peaks back in the day...is this the first Twin Peaks build that actually references the show? Anyway, amazing build.

Coda-effects