News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Pots - Knurled Vs Solid

Started by spy590, November 18, 2011, 08:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spy590

Here's a dumb question...

I've never ordered from Tayda before, but their prices looks very enticing. I noticed that all of their alpha pots have 6mm knurled shafts. Have any of you used these pots with set screw type knobs? Any issues?

slimtriggers

I've used them with no problems.  They also come with "pot condoms" already installed 8)

Haberdasher

In my experience, a knob with a set screw will grab onto a knurled shaft, but sometimes the knob doesn't sit perfectly plumb and ends up looking goofy.  But it really depends on the kind of knob you use.

I think the davies knockoffs tayda sells are designed to fit on either smooth or knurled.  They will push onto the knurled shaft and cram on there pretty tight, but they also come with a set screw for smooth.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The other knobs Tayda sells I believe are meant for knurled, and don't have a screw at all.

My preference is for the smooth type, but I grab those cheap taydas all the time.  The truth is they work fine.  They don't have solder lugs though.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Jamiroking

I ordered all my pots from Tayda recently because their prices are so good. Your set screw knobs will work but there are a few issues with them. The set screw will tend to fall in the divot on the shaft so if you're completely anal about having your "all the way up" at 7 o clock instead of 7:05, it may not work for you. Also, I've found these shafts to be a bit taller than the smooth shafts I used to get from small bear so you can either live with the extra height on your knobs or i gues try to cut them down with a dremel or something. You can see the difference between my builds:
Smooth shaft (Small bear) (scroll down to my refinish)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=265.0
Knurled Shaft (Tayda)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3087.new;topicseen#new

Other than those, you'll be fine. You can always order knurled shaft knobs but I've been getting sick of them just for how hard they are to get off. Hopefully you only have to put them on once though

spy590

Wow, thanks guys. This forum is fast with the responses! I think I'll give them a go--if I don't like them, then I'll solder some alligator leads on them to use with my test board.

Keefe, these are going on one of your Uproar boards. I received my urchin board and ICs also--thanks again for the great customer service!

Russ

Haberdasher

Quote from: spy590 on November 18, 2011, 09:05:48 PM
Wow, thanks guys. This forum is fast with the responses! I think I'll give them a go--if I don't like them, then I'll solder some alligator leads on them to use with my test board.

Keefe, these are going on one of your Uproar boards. I received my urchin board and ICs also--thanks again for the great customer service!

Russ

No problem man! I hope it all works out for you.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Tpetty5

With the knurled tayda pots, I have found it helps to put some heat shrink on the shaft if you are using set screw knobs.  It helps the "grip" of the set screw and the knob seems to set straighter.  The shafts of the pots are longer.  You can either trim them or use a couple of washers on the pot to shim the knob down.  If you like the cheap Tayda knobs, they fit perfect,have no set screw, and do not require you to trim or shim the shaft.  

spy590

Good idea on the heat shrink. I'm not too concerned on the length--another excuse to use the grinder;)

the3secondrule

+1. I do this as well, works a treat!

Quote from: Tpetty5 on November 19, 2011, 07:16:28 PM
With the knurled tayda pots, I have found it helps to put some heat shrink on the shaft if you are using set screw knobs.  It helps the "grip" of the set screw and the knob seems to set straighter.  The shafts of the pots are longer.  You can either trim them or use a couple of washers on the pot to shim the knob down.  If you like the cheap Tayda knobs, they fit perfect,have no set screw, and do not require you to trim or shim the shaft.  
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

nzCdog

Quote from: Tpetty5 on November 19, 2011, 07:16:28 PM

Great idea Tpetty... wish I had thought of that earlier :D

Mel George

yes having a heat shrink with its handle adds grip to it. Thus it helps people to hold it. And by the way, i saw an interesting website (http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/heatshrink.php) that sells heat shrink, maybe you can visit the site when you are doing some canvassing, especially those having tight budget.
"They can because they think they can"