News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone else verify this way?

Started by PapaKev, March 08, 2021, 10:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaKev

My guitar playing abilities are slim to none. I'm making these pedals for my son. I needed a way to test to see if the pedals work, i.e., knobs actually do something, switches work, etc.. I realize this method won't give me the true sound of the pedal. I'm not really looking for that. I just want to make sure things work and that there isn't humming or anything else unwanted happening.

Soooo. Dry electric guitar sounds. Not very easy to find actually. After literally hours of searching I did find this site and it has a lot of random types of playing.
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=ikmultimedia%20unprocessed

Next I have to play those from my computers headphone jack to a L2A Passive Re-amplifier.
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/l2a (Of course I bought the last one and he has an upgraded version coming out in April)

From the L2A I went into the pedal and from the pedal to the amp (Orange 35RT)

I have to say this worked great. I can confirm the pedal works like a charm, no humming, no cracking or other issues. It also allowed me to learn what the full affect of each knob is. Pedal on/off affect, if any. None from this one.

I really like the fact that I can play a minute or longer tune, and play with the knobs during playback.

Anyone else use this method? On a scale of 1 - 10, how big of an idiot am I to even try this?

-Kevin

Yes, I'm aware I could use a looper, but I don't have one yet. (One on order). However, like I said, I can't play for crap. This was the simplest solution I could think of.

jimilee

I use a looper and sometimes a trio, I'm trying to get away from that. Sounds like it's time for you to play guitar, or bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

I don't use this to verify but for years I ran a bare guitar sound from my pedal board to my daw for reamping later, using the reamp box from diyre.

Similar thought but different application.

davent

If you have a guitar and amp there, maybe just tune the guitar to an open tuning, barre at any fret with a finger or slide and you've got a new chord so you can easily put together chord progressions, see how the pedal works with an actual guitar signal.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mjg

I have to admit to sometimes just getting GarageBand on the iPad to be playing some sort of automatic guitar picking thing, and plug the iPad headphone jack into the pedal. 

Because yes, otherwise it's just me playing the 2 chords I know.  Over and over.  With one hand.  While the other hand is poking wires on the circuit.

gordo

Anything that works is the best way :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?