News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Almost-Ready Next Project (second pair of eyes)

Started by jessenator, March 13, 2022, 06:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Greetings.

I've decided to do, as a more advanced exercise, do an Eagle project (no, not that kind of Eagle Project, that was 22 years ago) where I recreate a circuit. A friend recommended I do this circuit, out of our mutual like of the Beastie Boys and MCA (RIP). I rush headlong, not realizing replicas already exist. But as I say, I didn't want to rip off what others have done, so I found an ancient scan of a schematic and set to work.

I realized after doing the schemo, and even first-round board, that I had been working off of a terrible GIF of the circuit which had been *ahem* abridged. I managed to track down an actual scan of the schematic and made some revisions.

What I hope I've done is recreate* it accurately in Eagle so it can be manufactured (just for me and some to give away). I've just been staring at it for so long that a second set of eyes on it would be most welcome before I jump the gun and order bunk boards.

I hope I'm not coming across as "do my homework for me," but rather, "I've done this thing, I think I've done it right, I don't trust my eyes right now, could I have a second pair of eyes before I move this forward?" :P

Thanks in advance.

*Since the original ran on a battery, I've added in a slightly better filter and protection circuit at the power stage.

And the original for quick reference:

Also, I didn't want to create a new project thread, just in case I've screwed up royally on the first post  :(

Edit: I know it looks a bit janky compared to the actual schemo, simply because I recreated it from a janky GIF

skyled

I can't help you at all with this, but there is an interesting variation on this fuzz called the Wattson Classic Electronics EFY-6, which takes the original Univox Super Fuzz and adds some more controls. The tone switch is changed to a tone knob, and the amount of octave is controlled with a knob also.

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/11/wattson-classic-electrons-efy-6.html

jessenator

Quote from: skyled on March 14, 2022, 12:31:38 AM
I can't help you at all with this, but there is an interesting variation on this fuzz called the Wattson Classic Electronics EFY-6, which takes the original Univox Super Fuzz and adds some more controls. The tone switch is changed to a tone knob, and the amount of octave is controlled with a knob also.

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/11/wattson-classic-electrons-efy-6.html

Cool! I'll have to look into that for a modded version for sure. Once I get a better feel for the workflow I'd like to get more into the tweaks.

This one is going to be all vanilla, mostly for the friend who inspired the project. Well, as vanilla as possible —what with the power filter circuit, since I'm kinda done with batteries.

NorthCoast

I took a quick look and it looks like the circuit is good, but a few values are off:

R5 should be 100k

R23 and R24 should be swapped: R23=22k and R24=10k
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

jessenator

Quote from: NorthCoast on March 14, 2022, 03:55:40 AM
I took a quick look and it looks like the circuit is good, but a few values are off:

R5 should be 100k

R23 and R24 should be swapped: R23=22k and R24=10k

Awesome! Thanks for looking at it. I'll make those adjustments before I ship it off to JLCPCB just so I don't forget.