News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how to remove 'stuck/broke' jacks?

Started by sgmezei, April 20, 2012, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

Alright, I have a cherry bomb that I was taking apart to replace the gain pot and seem to have broken both jacks.
They are Neutrik ones that I got from Mouser. Haven't had any trouble with the other ones. When I hold the tip (the contact arm thing) with some pliers and try to loosen the nut, the nut and inside just turn like they are broken away from the plastic.

Help! Anyone else had this problem? I have had it once before and spent an hour muscling it out/breaking it out with pliers and wrenches.

GermanCdn

Allparts has a tool specifically for that (it's actually for tightening guitar jacks without unscrewing the mounting hardware, but the same process only in reverse), but they're hard to find, so the quicker solution would be as follows:

Take a pair of needlenose pliers, stick them inside the jack, then open up the pliers inside the jack, holding the barrel in place.  Then take a box wrench or crescent wrench and loosen the nut, you should have more than enough friction from the pliers to be able to loosen the nut.

Hope this works for you.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

sgmezei

Wow thanks dude. I will give that a try!