News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grapevine/Faultline: FET selection necessary?

Started by Diamond, November 09, 2010, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond

Well, the topic title really tells you my question: is it necessary to select/test FETs for the Faultline (SFT) and Grapevine (DLS) projects? Like you would, for instance, for a Fuzz Face type pedal? Or can you just solder random 2N5457's in without major sound differences?

The reason I'm asking is because both projects have a total of 14 FETs combined. I don't want to be soldering in sockets for 14 transistors, testing, soldering the 14 sockets out and then soldering 14 FETs in unless I really have to. I really do want the transistors soldered. If you keep them in sockets they will fall out eventually if you actually use the pedals regularly.

Also, has anyone tried different types of FETs, like J201's, etc?

oldhousescott

Q4 on the Grapevine is the only position where individual FET characteristics might come into play. All the other positions have enough source resistance that local degenerative feedback minimizes any difference in device characteristics for a given part type.

Diamond

Thanks! I think I can handle one socket. ;) What exactly would be the influence of this FET and what characteristics would I be looking for?

eniacmike

I have built a few of these and I didn't bother to test any of them. I didn't have any problems.

Diamond

A few of these, well well... What do you think of them?

Thanks for the answer, btw. ;)

eniacmike

Quote from: Diamond on November 10, 2010, 10:08:00 AM
A few of these, well well... What do you think of them?

Thanks for the answer, btw. ;)

both are nice pedals probably the lowest noise distortion/od's I have came across.

rawk! mode on the dls is a little over the top, and the tone control sounded a little blanket over the amp and I just left it cranked all the time. (i like things REALLY BRIGHT). This is going to make me sound really lazy but in the end I thought the DLS was alot of work for dirt box.

I thought the faultline responded well to guitar chords and double stops it seems to clean up with single notes. It sounded great on guitar for stones rhythm guitar, ac/dc stuff etc.

I didn't really like it on bass I was mainly looking for a growly doom sound and It was hard to get that sound. You have to kind of tweak the bass and treble up to get it to growl. I swapped the gain knob for a 1MC to get more control over the distorted part of the gain. In the end I didn't really like the sound on bass because it was too tame but I found that the tube sound fuzz/red llama/snarkdoodle sounds alot better for what I was looking for for a bass distortion that is more wide open tone wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DaAU-tseS8 this is my demo of the faultline some people really like it.

Diamond

Sounds great! I like things pretty dark, so the DLS will probably work fine for me. I'm building it in a box with a voltage doubler and a Sunking, which I suspect to be an awesome combo. I will post pictures and a review when I am done, which could take a few weeks though.

Btw, if you want a really growly doom sound for bass, you should build a Meathead clone (i believe Madbean sells them as 'Snack Shack') and increase the in- and output caps. That little circuit sounds awesome on bass. You could also put a DPDT toggle switch in to toggle between guitar and bass values.

eniacmike

yeah I have the snack shack, love it. it's more fuzz than what I am talking about for bass guitar though.