News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle3D and POV Ray - eagle PCB pr0N

Started by rullywowr, May 02, 2013, 07:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Just screwing around with the Eagle3D ULP script and POV Ray.  I have been using Eagle for a little over 2 weeks.  This is a Timmy board (for my own personal consumption) which I have sent off to Osh Park and am eagerly awaiting its return.  Attached is a Osh Park rendering as well as some POV Ray renderings I did to see what they would look like while I wait.  Of course, I had to use the obligitory Osh Park purple.

It's not that hard to run the Eagle3D ULP script but its a PITA to edit the ini files to populate components which aren't normally setup.  Once you setup the script files things are easy and quick to export into a 3D format.  This website has really good information about editing the ini files:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_Eagle3D_tutorial.shtml

There is another 3D script for Eagle called "EagleUP" which uses "SketchUP".  Haven't played around with that one yet but it looks promising too.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jubal81

Very, very cool. 2 weeks into Eagle you look to be doing pretty well :)

I tried the Google sketchup and it was a BIG TIME pia to get working on my mac. It worked, but I stopped at going through with getting models for all the components.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

DutchMF

Damn, those are some sweet pics! I know how to work Eagle, but now I've got to learn this... Would be a lot easier if it was possible to actually design the PCB's in 3D (Well, at least for me, doing a lot of 3D stuff at work...). I'll take a look at this the coming weekend, thanks for the inspiration!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

DutchMF

Quote from: jubal81 on May 02, 2013, 07:38:06 PM
Very, very cool. 2 weeks into Eagle you look to be doing pretty well :)

I tried the Google sketchup and it was a BIG TIME pia to get working on my mac. It worked, but I stopped at going through with getting models for all the components.

Is there a link between Sketchup and Eagle? Or were you just free-handing the components and placing them on a board you drew in SU? And stop using the Mac, they are Evil!  ;) (just joking, they are cool and great for a lot of applications, but as a certified Autocad freak, Mac just doesn't work for me...)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rullywowr

Quote from: DutchMF on May 02, 2013, 07:43:58 PM

Is there a link between Sketchup and Eagle?

There is a ULP script called "EagleUP" you can read up on it here...
http://eagleup.wordpress.com/

I haven't played with SketchUP yet but it seems like another viable option to POV Ray although POV Ray is pretty straightforward once you link your device packages to the appropriate 3D resource.

Thanks for the comments!  Yeah, if I can go from knowing nothing about Eagle to doing my own layouts, 3D models, editing libraries, and having custom boards fabbed at Osh Park all in 2 weeks... you certainly can too!  It will be a big day for me when I get my first boards back from Osh Park, feels like a really good personal accomplishment.  

Big props to Jacob Kokura's very well done Eagle tutorials - couldn't have done it without them :)  Also, Brian's well done layouts and explanations have been a huge inspiration to doing tidy and well thought out layouts.  Keep rockin' before boxing friends!   ;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gtr2

I use eagleUp and sketchup.   Was a royal pain to set up on a mac like jubal81 mentioned.  The library's are not good for what we do, at least some of the stuff I found.  I just render the board.

I tried POV ray and Eagle3d on a PC but I no longer have that computer :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer