News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Steaming Kettle

Started by slimtriggers, July 18, 2013, 03:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Boxed this up today.  First try at alcohol inks, and I think it came out pretty decent.  I powder coated a clear coat over it, and it seemed to work OK.  I was afraid it would ruin it, but the ink didn't run or smear or react in any negative way with the powder coat.

The board went together without a hitch and fired up first try.  Sounds good, just like the demos of the pedal it's based on 8)

jprizz

Yeah! That looks great, really nice job on that finish.

pickdropper

Quote from: jprizz on July 18, 2013, 03:18:14 AM
Yeah! That looks great, really nice job on that finish.

Yeah, it's somehow fitting on that one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

man i love the look of those alcohol inks.  i am just a sucker for those sort of subdued colors like that.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Great looking pedal, Tod!

CJ has started a very good trend here with the alcohol inks, I think ... I think it's funny to use the alcohol inks to mimic the swirl of the Rockbox ones, too. (Seriously, why are people still willing to pay so much extra for a swirly paint job after the Clay Jones kerfuffle?)

Are they difficult at all to work with?

slimtriggers

Quote from: midwayfair on July 18, 2013, 01:24:27 PM

Not difficult at all.  It was actually a lot of fun to squirt the inks and alcohol just to watch them swirl and blend.  I definitely recommend giving alcohol inks a try 8)

hammerheadmusicman

Fancy doing a tutorial thread or vid on the process? That looks sweet!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jkokura

Yeah, I agree that it looks awesome! Would love to hear more about what you think of the sound.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

billstein

Beautiful. Did you do the sides too?

gingataff

I wasn't aware of this particular TS variant until this thread, but I found a demo video and it does sound very nice. I have to say yours looks much better than the commercial version as well. Well done  ;D

slimtriggers

Hey thanks for checking it out, guys  8)

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on July 19, 2013, 12:54:07 AM
Fancy doing a tutorial thread or vid on the process? That looks sweet!

I'm probably not the best person to do a tutorial on this stuff.  This was the first and only time I ever used alcohol inks.  That should give you an idea of how easy they are to work with.  I didn't even practice on scrap first.  I literally tore open the packs of ink, alcohol and felt pad thingy and went at it.

Quote from: jkokura on July 19, 2013, 05:03:18 AM
Yeah, I agree that it looks awesome! Would love to hear more about what you think of the sound.

Jacob

It sounds a lot like a TS.  I haven't had a chance to play it a bunch, but it seems a little brighter and more transparent, with more gain than a standard TS. 

Quote from: billstein on July 19, 2013, 05:50:26 AM
Beautiful. Did you do the sides too?

Thank you.  Yes, I did the sides and bottom as well.

Quote from: gingataff on July 19, 2013, 02:23:53 PM
I wasn't aware of this particular TS variant until this thread, but I found a demo video and it does sound very nice. I have to say yours looks much better than the commercial version as well. Well done  ;D
Thanks!   I don't think any two of the commercial version Rockbox pedals are alike in appearance.  Some of them are really, really cool looking.  Some not so much.  None of them is worth the $350 asking price, IMO

billstein

Quote from: midwayfair on July 18, 2013, 01:24:27 PM

Wanted to chime in here also. I've only done the one pedal but I was surprised at how easy they are to work with. The results look intimidating but getting there isn't at all.